Running Too Cold?

FunElan

So my car has been running warm for a while, and almost overheated a couple of times. This week while driving 20 feet from the ocean (love LA), it was running about 3/4 of the way up, which is not normal. Decided to steal my father's freshly redone radiator, and swapped that in with new BMW blue coolant. Now the car runs really cold, which is refreshing since I've been running warm, but I'm wondering if it's not healthy for the engine. Can I keep running it like this or do I need a hotter thermostat?

Here's the radiator I was running, the touch of my finger disintegrates all of the fins! These holes were there before I started playing with it though.

post-34561-0-63905900-1369168075_thumb.j

Old vs. New

post-34561-0-68794600-1369168178_thumb.j

Where the temp gauge stands. 

post-34561-0-94215100-1369168210_thumb.j

It's a little bit of a guess and trial and error.  I'm running a 71 degree with a good radiator and my temps run with the needle just below the half way mark in very hot weather (Houston, TX).  I went with the 71 to counteract some very high temps similar to what you were getting.  However, I then removed the AC and installed a new water pump too.

I'd say that with a good radiator I could now run a 75 degree with no issues....but until I try it, I won't know for sure.

After doing a lot of research, I think I should try getting air out of the system before replacing the thermostat. I'm also finding it tough to read which thermostat I have! When I look at thermos on ebay, it looks as though the stamping is on the arm of the thermo that's covered by the short hose. 

I would suggest you get an infrared/laser gun before changing anything.  That way you can be sure you are running cold.  Spend the $20 to ensure your gauge matches what you think your temperature is.  Would hate for you to start swapping parts only to find your temperature gauge is giving you incorrect readings.  

http://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Temperature-Non-Contact-Infrared-Thermometer/dp/B00837ZGRY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369494154&sr=8-1&keywords=infrared+thermometer

Fun,

I'm using a 71-deg thermostat, I'll soon replace with a 75-deg.

Yes, the temp stamping is usually near that small hose, on the radiator side, you may be able to see it with a mirror.

Cheers,

Carl

p.s.  I have a spare 80-deg thermostat if you want to try that temp and see how you like it.

Edited by OriginalOwner