It Looks Like It Was Time For A Rebuild

The Motor Teardown pics. This is bad, and not in the good way.

The scary thing about this is that I was running at highway speeds in the Texas heat for years until I recently got tired of the sputtering and cutting out at stop lights. I'd always make it home, so I thought it was just timing. I was wrong.

It had its share of tow truck rides, but overall. NO REGRETS!

I even went safely across the desert a few years ago to Bimmerfest 2010 and on to San Diego for their annual event and show. WOW!! A brand new respect for the "Bullet Proof Motor." It really does appear to be true.

I can hardly wait to see how it runs after a Korman rebuild.

null-3.jpg

null-2.jpg

null-1.jpg

null.jpg

LOOKS LIKE THE COOLENT WAS NEVER REPLACED - should be about every 4 years MAX on these motors

you need a new cylinder head - massive errosion in your last bottom photo - the side passage ways

oil pan dent like that can sometimes restrict oil pump pick-up

plan on Korman's telling you that the crank shaft needs machining or replacement

Their rebuilds are good.

how many miles on this motor ? that you know about ??

can you give us a few photos,  different angles of the CAM lobes and rocker arms, and rocker

shafts - we might be able  to see wear and warn you in advance how bad this rebuild

will be ($$$ - ???)

Looks as though you have an e21 head by the nick in the heads combustion chamber as well as probably on the pistons from the piano tops. Korman would probably advise on a new head anyway, or pistons to match.

I'm surprised that car ran like that. A little bit closer and you would have had bent rods, cracked pistons... all kinds of mayhem. 

C. diesel

LOOKS LIKE THE COOLENT WAS NEVER REPLACED - should be about every 4 years MAX on these motors

you need a new cylinder head - massive errosion in your last bottom photo - the side passage ways

oil pan dent like that can sometimes restrict oil pump pick-up

plan on Korman's telling you that the crank shaft needs machining or replacement

Their rebuilds are good.

how many miles on this motor ? that you know about ??

can you give us a few photos, different angles of the CAM lobes and rocker arms, and rocker

shafts - we might be able to see wear and warn you in advance how bad this rebuild

will be ($$$ - ???)

Everything you mentioned was right on target.

Not sure on the mileage. I got the engine in trade for the top end of another motor I had. This motor as better than the one I had in the car.

I got a lengthy email explaining everyone's observations to the tee.

The pics are from Korman. I don't have the other angles, but your theories are correct.

Korman could not believe it ran like it was se up either.