Hello To The Forum And To The 2002

AdamKaz

I would just like to say hello to everyone here at 2002 FAQ.

I just got my first 2002 - free!, as a bonus from my business partner (I am an extremely lucky and grateful individual) - and am looking forward to making the car mine.

Even before I got the car I heard about this forum, and I heard nothing but good things about the community here. Your reputation as a helpful and friendly group of owners preceeds you. I look forward to getting to know everyone here and hopefully contributing as much help as I get.

A little about the car:

1970 Polaris Silver 2002

Turbo bodykit

Bored +1mm

Ported head

Balanced Rods and Crank

Schrick 292 cam

Dual side-draft Weber 45 carbs

I love driving this car, and it goes like stink. Unfortunately, it does not stop nearly as well as it starts. The brakes are still vintage 1970 and after one run in the Malibu canyons and my brakes are gone. Had a couple of hairy moments with that...

Side note: As a side gig, I write for the great site Petrolicious. If you haven't seen the site, take a look at it and hopefully you like it. If anyone would like their car featured or has a story to tell, drop me a line and maybe we can make you "internet famous."

Happy to be here, and many good drives for all.

post-44935-0-71348600-1368987000_thumb.j

That is a good looker, to stop put good quality brake pads in the front ( make sure the calipers are good & the front hoses are not old or cracked ,new braided stainless are available ) 2nd get a set of rear brakes from a 320 , backing plates , drums etc & add new cylinders & shoes , drums too if yours are knackered. that is what I have & I track my car with no brake problems. I did duct from my spoiler to the disc brake backing plate so I do have cooling .

Enjoy & welcome to the addiction

Welcome!

Congrats!  Great looking car!  Brakes, yeah, I gotta do mine still.  I put in the sync link yesterday and now...

Need strength and blessings from the petrol gods to get the back plate off. Thinking the 320 route in hindsight.  Enjoy the drive!

many people with these car are cheap.  they put cheap pads from the local auto parts place on the car.  bad move.  get some performance friction PF-Z's, Hawk HPS, or Porterfield R4-S pads and matching brake shoes.  and then make sure the shoes in the rear are adjusted correctly...that is critical and must be done regularly ( i would do it every other session when tracking the car).  this is the setup many 2002 race cars use in SCCA racing with no issues.

if you have done the above and the rest of the brake system is in good shape your stopping power will be much better.  if that is not enough, then go with the FAQ vented rotor setup with 320i drums in rear.  

Welcome to the addiction, uh fraternity/sorority!  Nice looking car you got there--especially the price!  The blacked-out beltline moulding goes particularly well with the Polaris paint.  As has been said, the stock brakes are more than adequate for the car if they're set up properly.  I've been driving 2002s for 44 years and always felt confident that the brakes were gonna stop me from any speed the car is capable of. 

BTW, is that a Sprite/Midget in your avatar?  Looks like a Bugeye with an aftermarket steering wheel.

cheers

mike

Mike - That wheel is actually from a 427 Cobra replica done by Kirkham Motorsports. Vicious beast. Ironic that you mentioned the Midget though, I JUST wrote an article about that car:

http://www.petrolicious.com/i-ruined-my-friend-s-life-with-mg-midget

Andrew - This is not Josh, but I know him and his wife. They are really great people to work with and I can not say enough nice things about them. I'm going to draft him into helping with my '02 for sure.

Great to have you on board and welcome to the community. Brakes are pretty easy to work on a 2002. BMC and the rest of the system are easily reached and parts are still relatively cheap compared to other German offerings. If you're interested there also a lot of upgrade options out there. I suggest checking out the Ireland Enginering website if you're interested in that route (I have no association with them).

BTW, I love Petrolicious. Can we see a post on the 2002 soon??

I don't think I'm spilling any important secrets here, so here goes:

Petrolicious is doing an entire month dedicated to BMW! My car and many other beautiful machines will be featured. I'll be sure to keep the forums posted.

That's awesome! You'll find a great amoutn of resources here on the forum. Either it be historical info or if you need to interview various NK owners. This is the place to do it.

Also suggest checking out http://www.alpinabmw2002.com/

The author is a member here as well, and he has a massive inventory of old BMW racing photos.