1976, Automatic Transmission, Atf-To-Radiator Feed Line Gasket Rings

No_Dice

Go to solution Solved by jgerock,

I'm in the process of replacing my automatic transmission pan gasket and am in need of some replacement copper gasket rings. I did come across another topic in which someone provided the part number for the AT pan drain plug gasket ring (24 11 1 215 097); however, I will also need to replace the four copper gasket rings which seal the transmission-to-radiator supply and return lines.

Does anyone have the part-number for this type of gasket ring?

Also, on the topic, I'm going to have to purchase a new AT pan gasket; does anyone know of any online sources other than bavauto.com (who appears to charge $30 + shipping for the paper gasket)?

Thanks,

Ian

• Solution

Take a look at these (2) diagrams.  The hoses and seals are in the engine section with the radiators - might be # 13.  Did you try BLUNT, parts.com or other sources (even a BMW dealership)?

http://www.penskeparts.com/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=47140&rnd=03192010

Take a look at these (2) diagrams.  The hoses and seals are in the engine section with the radiators - might be # 13.  Did you try BLUNT, parts.com or other sources (even a BMW dealership)?

Ah! This is just the sort of resource I was looking for, and the 13s are it. It appears that they are available on Penske's website, so I'll just order them by mail. Thanks so much; this is a really helpful tool to find parts numbers in the future and avoid having to bother the forums with such small questions.

use plain copper washer. note that there is not that much pression in there as the hose design seems to suggest.

what i do (often) when i cant find new copper washers, i sand them on a flat surface with 320 grit sand paper. the roughness it makes create a crushable area and seals back great. never had issues with this method, mainly used when i was working on VW with high pressure cis systems back in the 80's/90's.

hth.

use plain copper washer. note that there is not that much pression in there as the hose design seems to suggest.

what i do (often) when i cant find new copper washers, i sand them on a flat surface with 320 grit sand paper. the roughness it makes create a crushable area and seals back great. never had issues with this method, mainly used when i was working on VW with high pressure cis systems back in the 80's/90's.

hth.

Thanks; this is actually my second time replacing the AT pan gasket. After the first installation (~2 years ago, after which the car has stayed in storage), fluid leaked from both of the radiator lines, as well as from the drain plug, as well as from one corner of the gasket itself. I believe I'd cleaned the copper gaskets with an unknown grade of steel wool before reinstalling them. To avoid further leaks, I am hoping to find new gasket rings, as well as taking the opportunity to buy another paper gasket; Blunt appears to have both items.

Of course, if I'm being unnecessarily cautious, I will be glad to be told otherwise.

you seems to have more than one source of leaks....not very uncommon on a 40 year old auto trans. note that theses leaks mad from the speedo cable output and the dip stick tube. they can also leak from the gear selector switch.

hth.