Turn Signal Switch Conversion.....

coolwnc

It can be done, but since the stalks' functions are divided differently on the 76 and the 73, some re-wiring will be necessary. 

left stalk functions                                                            right stalk functions

'73     high/low beams, headlight flasher                                      turn signals, wiper on/off (only), wash/wipe

'76     turn signals, high/low beams, headlight flasher                  wiper on/off/low/high speed/intermittent,  

Here's what you'll have to do for the changeover:

1.  take both stalks off the 76's steering column,  along with the sockets and several inches of wire (from the wiring harness) for each stalk

2.  get a wiring diagram for both your 73 and your '76, and make a chart of wire colors and exactly what they serve on both cars. 

3.  see if the connector plugs on the 76's stalks have the same number/configuration of pins as the sockets on the 73's wiring harness. 

4.  on the 73, separate the wires on the two stalk's wiring harnesses so that the right side stalk has all wash/wipe functions, and the left stalk has turn signals, hi/low beam/headlight flasher functions. 

5.  remove the low/hi wiper speed wires from the dash switch and fish 'em down to the steering column, as all wiper functions on the 76 is controlled only by the right-hand stalk (no dash switch). 

6.  using your wiring charts, reconnect all the wires to their proper terminals on the two sockets in the wiring harness that serve the two stalks. 

7.  relocate the "thimble" on the back side of the steering wheel to the opposite side so it'll cancel the turn signals in the stalk's new location. 

8.  doublecheck your work so you don't blow any fuses, then try everything out.

I think it would be easier just to learn to use your right hand for the turn signals when you're in your '73....but if you really want to...

cheers, and good luck

mike

Edited by mike

What's the matter with your '73's switch?  Depending on what's wrong, some can be fixed.  I did a column on repairing the common maladies of 72-73 turn signal switches.

mike

Mike,

Do you have a link to the column on the turn signal switch repairs?

Hi--

I'll note that after 36 years with a '73, I still reach for the turn signal on the RIGHT side (of my '74 tii) occasionally.  Somehow it looks like BMW and other manufacturers were sinister to put the turn signal switch on the left.

Larry

No, not sinister at all.  It was just one of two available standards at the time!

My 1968 Datsun's that way too.

The 1965 Volvo's not, but the handbrake is to my left.

Oddly, many small parts from the Datsun fit the Volvo, and both use SAE fasteners on the bodies.

(Datsun has a metric engine)

t