Car Won't Accelerate! Help!

Driving down the freeway today (half throttle) car started bogging. Limped the car off the closest exit and parked at the bottom of the ramp expecting the car to die. It didn't. As soon as I released the throttle car started running fine. It idles smooth, sounds good but bogs past 2500rpm or 1/4 throttle. If I try to push it past 2500rpm with full throttle it does die. Car has a weber 32/36, recently replaced: plugs, cap, rotor, and points. Feels like a fuel issue. Took off the fuel line into the carb and cranked it (into a bottle) with no obvious lack of fuel flow. I scratching my head at Wing•Stop right now waiting for AAA to get me and my 02 back to my garage. Ideas???

Thanks

Special thanks to: Andrew from Ireland Engineering, Richard from Beyond '02, and Bryce 'DenverTii' here on FAQ

All have been incrediblly helpful and invaluable resources. Thank you!

Sounds silly, but didja check the linkage that activates the second carb barrel?  If the linkage comes off, you're running the engine on one small 32mm carb throat.  That symptom was a sure sign on the old Solex 2 bbls that the vacuum diaphragm that operated the second barrel had gone south.  The Weber linkage is mechanical, so perhaps it's not functioning properly.   Worth a look....

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Points are good, timing is good, secondary linkage is working. Looking down the carb the bogging starts just before the secondary opens. Related? Would a blocked secondary jet fit the bill with my symptoms?

Special thanks to: Andrew from Ireland Engineering, Richard from Beyond '02, and Bryce 'DenverTii' here on FAQ

All the simple stuff has been checked. Digging into the carb next to check the jets

Is the accelerator pump working?  You should get a healthy squirt of gas from the pump nozzle when you work the accelerator linkage (more easily seen with the engine off).  No squirt = bogging under (especially sudden) acceleration.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Healthy squirt of gas, check! Even if I sneak up on it with sloth slow throttle application it will bog at 2500

So after all the help here on the FAQ's and a few hours under the hood, I was able to isolate the problem to the carb and to an internal fuel flow issue. Took the whole thing apart and cleaned everything I could but the problem remained when I threw it back on.

My buddy had a spare NEW 32/36 on the shelf. Put it on and the problem is gone!! And on top of that the car has never run so well in the time I've owned it.

Let me know if anyone wants to make an offer on the old carb. If not for anything else it would be good for parts.

Thanks for everyone's input!

Frosty

Congrats!  keep buddy's carb.

place a FREE ad in FAQ stating:

WEBER 32/36 carb - jetted so you cannot exceed 1/4 throttle

Great for your high schooler newbe driver.

PRICE: Free,  PLUS SHIPPING & HANDLING to anywhere in the US.

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Archived