• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where Have The Faqs Gone?

I'm after the topic about spring markings.

Someone has obviously put a lot of work into changing this site, but to be honest, I dont think it was worth the effort, or even necessary. The old site wasnt broken.  

02tii 2751928 (2582)

• Administrators

All old FAQs are listed under Tech in the menu, but I do not think we ever had that one as an article.

The old site was very broken. It had a lot of security flaws, was easy to spam and I had to clear the malware almost daily. It was also very hard to promote posts to articles. Probably the reason why the spring post never became an article. In the few weeks of the new software being live, I added more articles to the tech section then in the last few years.

Steve k.

Get your 2002 FAQ merchandise from 2002FAQ Store

I'm after the topic about spring markings.

Someone has obviously put a lot of work into changing this site, but to be honest, I dont think it was worth the effort, or even necessary. The old site wasnt broken.  

did you consider using the search function?  type "spring and marking" in the box and you get....this...

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/64835-question-regarding-stock-springs/?hl=spring+and+marking#entry508786

old site major broken, new site gets better every day.

2xM3

As chance would happen, I had saved the page;

post-35003-0-32283000-1368770370_thumb.j

Steve and Marshall, I realise that the site needed a software upgrade, but that didnt mean that its functionality had to be lost and replaced with a load of bling. The one forum that should have been retained is the one that the site was named after. The History & Reference section now resides under Tech and most of the FAQ content has been lost. For example, what has happened to the vin table?

02tii 2751928 (2582)

funtionality was not dropped and replaced with bling....

but, yes some FAQ CONTENT appears to have dissappeared.  the spring thing, vin table, torque table,etc.  unfortunate.

however...instead of bitching about it, feel free to recreate the critical info everyone needs.  you saved that vin table, cool!  now start a new FAQ entry with the info you saved and help the cause.  the is a community effort.

we should all do this.  if you have info saved that needs to be reposted...do it, don't whine about it.

2xM3

Marshall you seem to be taking a rather defensive stance, so I can only conclude that you were responsible, in some small way, for the changes to the forum. Its a shame that you didnt do a bit of systems analysis and work out what the actual requirement was. As us IT professionals say, proper prior planning prevents piss poor performance. That's the seven Ps of project management Marshall, and the key word there is, proper.

Now, as for recreating data that had previously existed, no, I'm not going to do that as other people had already collected, collated and provided that information and it now resides in the site backups, so it should be a simple matter to extract that data and return it to the forum.   

02tii 2751928 (2582)

actually i had nothing to do with the site upgrade besides making a donation to steve for pizza and beer during the upgrade.

and I am pretty sure i qualify as a career IT professional... B)

but we have to remember, the FAQ is not a professional IT shop.   there is no team of developers and project managers who are ITIL certified running the show.  it is basically one guy in his spare time doing a HUGE service for all of us.   

i am being defensive because i do a lot of volunteer work for other organizations and i know how hard it is to balance a real job, a hobby and the work you don't get paid for.  this forum operates on donations and Steve's after hours labor.  He is doing a great job for us and he does not deserve to be abused because a major upgrade did not go perfectly.  

if you are an IT pro, contact steve offlline and see if there is something you can do to help in your spare time.  refusing to contribute because "the data is in a backup somewhere"  is not helpful.

2xM3

actually i had nothing to do with the site upgrade besides making a donation to steve for pizza and beer during the upgrade.

and I am pretty sure i qualify as a career IT professional... B)

but we have to remember, the FAQ is not a professional IT shop.   there is no team of developers and project managers who are ITIL certified running the show.  it is basically one guy in his spare time doing a HUGE service for all of us.   

i am being defensive because i do a lot of volunteer work for other organizations and i know how hard it is to balance a real job, a hobby and the work you don't get paid for.  this forum operates on donations and Steve's after hours labor.  He is doing a great job for us and he does not deserve to be abused because a major upgrade did not go perfectly.  

if you are an IT pro, contact steve offlline and see if there is something you can do to help in your spare time.  refusing to contribute because "the data is in a backup somewhere"  is not helpful.

Well said! Thank you, Marshall. (And, of course, thank you, Steve K.!)

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)