• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002 Stimulating My Interest

eins

I believe so. Maybe 71 and 72 as well. 74- and later all had full black plastic grills.

Prior to the square taillight cars of '74, all 2002s -- not 1600-2s or 1602s -- had anodized aluminum grills with all but two of the horizontal slats blacked out. Earlier models, e.g., '68 - '70ish, had the black slats painted but later models, e.g., '70ish -'73, had black snap-on covers to provide the black-out effect. The pattern of the silver slats (either un-painted or un-covered, depending on year) remained the same. Starting at the bottom of the grill and working to the top, there are 3 black slats, 1 silver, 2 black, 1 silver, 2 black.

Steve

EDIT: I have heard that 1600 cabriolets and 1600ti's came with the 2002-style grilles but I have no first-hand experience with either model (back in the day).

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

So from 68 to 70 the factory painted  3 slats black and left 2 in silver and from  70-73 2002s went to the owner with 3 black snap-on covers. 74 an on all came with factory black grills. Did I get that right?

I can see it does not have the chrome strip trim on the left and right fender and on the hood. Where does one find 2002 chrome strip at a discount, I do not mind if it has had a previous owner. Does this 2002 look like a good investment?

Edited by eins

So from 68 to 70 the factory painted 3 slats black and left 2 in silver and from 70-73 2002s went to the owner with 3 black snap-on covers. 74 an on all came with factory black grills. Did I get that right?

Mostly! All '68 through '73 2002s had the anodized aluminum grilles with 9 horizontal slats. All of them came from the factory with 7 black horizontal slats and 2 silver slats. The difference between (a.) '68 - '70ish and (b.) '70ish - '73 cars, visually, is how the made the black slats black, paint versus black covers.

Further, the location of those 2 silver slats per grille never changed. I'll try stating it differently: counting from the bottom horizontal slat of each grille, the 4th and 7th slats were silver.

The missing trim you're referring to, from the bottom edge of the hood, is often referred to as beltline trim. The best place to find it used may be the Classifieds section of this forum. Anyone parting out a car probably has some; it's advertised frequently. Try searching on "beltline trim" or possibly even "beltline".

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

The engine looks unloved and like it's been sitting for some time. Judging from the pics the car looks pretty tired and uncared for. Best keep looking, if your budget is 5K expect to put another 2-3K for fixing all the neglect. Best of luck.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

underside photo shoot req

I have limited understanding of these cars but i think, the underside tells u the real overall condition.

Look at it like a  boat,,,, topside could look spanky clean, but the hull is shot  ;)

Edited by ndog

Thanks my budget does not find itself so high as 5k. Thanks,  I will ask for a pic of the underbody. Yeah,the car has old style license plates, the kind that expired in 2005, which means that this car has not circulated on public roads since then. So it has sitted for 8 years at a minimum without use.

The combination of square tail lights with small chrome bumpers, flush front turn signals, lack of both front and rear side markers, the speedo calibrated in KPH, and lack of a seat belt warning light on the dash, conspire to indicate that it is likely an unfederalized Euro car, though certainly someone could've Euro-ized it. The juxtaposition of that with what appears to be a FridgeKing a/c console is highly unusual, as a/c was a BMW of North America dealer-installed option.

As c.d. said, it's all about the rust. You'd need to slide under it with a flashlight and check the floorboards, frame rails, rocker panels, etc, as well as the front and rear shock towers and undersides of the front and rear fender wells.

A car that's been sitting for, as you say, a minimum of eight years is highly likely to have stuck piston rings and need most if not all of the hydraulics replaced. And that's just the beginning. If you can't drive it, you don't know what else it needs -- smoking engine, munching transmission, howling differential, rumbling wheel bearings, etc.

Even if you have a hard-on for a Euro squarie with a/c (and there's nothing wrong with that), and even if the car is truly rust-free, five grand is high. Think of it in terms of a risk curve. If you pay five grand, it is truly rust-free, you throw in a battery, it fires right up and needs literally nothing, and you have the paint compounded and it comes out shiny, you'll smile like a Chessire cat, but the odds of your lucking out on all of those things together are small.

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

• 8 months later...

Hey,

I know this thread started a long time ago, the seller dropped down to USD $ 3000 obo. I have a couple questions, I would like to get this car, how much hp does this engine have? Does this car have euro bumpers?

thanks

As per my original post above, it APPEARS TO BE an unfederalized 2002, in which case, yes, it has "euro bumpers." I believe horsepower is quoted as the same 100hp as the American-spec versions, though in practice it should be slightly higher due to the lack of emission controls. 

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

The E30 3 series is two generations newer than a 2002. If you drove both, you'd feel certain similarities -- they're both relatively small, relatively light (by modern standards) rear wheel drive cars. The E30 325, though, had an "eta" six-cylinder engine, which in spite of its relatively low horsepower, gave a lot of torque at low RPM, much more than a 2002.

Like 2002s, E30s are appreciating. The secret is out that they're what the 2002 used to be: an inexpensive, fun, relatively straightforward rear wheel drive car. Plus, their climate control systems are much better, their wind noise is much less, and they don't rust as badly. But the newest E30 is now 23 years old, and will certainly need attention as well.

The 2002 that you show in the pics, if it hasn't run in many years, is going to need many things. The reduced-to-$3k asking price is just going to be the ante on the table. And, without any pics of the undercarriage of the car, we still know nothing about rust.

Nicaragua (plates) = humid salty air = rust

By the over-all look of the car it's likely the odometer has gone around at least once.  Minimal rust = maybe $3000.  Moderate rust = walk away quickly before she seduces you.  Even looking at the pictures I'm getting seduced by the Euro stuff.

Hood is probably not original.  Color difference.  Obscure in photo, but pedals are waaaayyy off normal position.

Jeez, buzz-kill or what.  Sorry.

73 Inka Tii #2762958