• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chrome Bumper Conversion

bnam

Finally got a good rear bumper (and for only $50) to go with the corrected brackets I got from Anton.  Planning to install before drive to Brisbane.

What size plugs did people use for the tiny screw-holes (that were used to mount the bumper shield for the big bumpers)?

And, for the bigger bolt holes where the bumper accordions mounted to the fenders?  Want to pick these up on the way back home tonight.

Could not find the plug sizes with a quick search -- though I think someone did post it.

Byas

Got mine at the local True Value hardware store, in the misc hardware bins they stock an array of vinyl hole plgs that worked perfect, a dab of silicone sealed and bonded them perfectly. At first I reinstalled the mounting screws into the original plastic mounts you removed, worked but the hole plugs are much cleaner, cheap too, but cant wait to make the holes go away forever.

Happy Trails to u~ Dave Miller
76 Golf~Rhiannon~BM Mascot~*~97 328is~Silver Ghost~*~68 1600~Wisperin Beast~*~70-02~Bumble Beast~*~76 02~Beast~

Keep smilin all the way

I bought mine at Lowe's. 

bumperplugs_zps5a7da775.jpg

The small plugs are, I believe, 3/16.  However, they only came in black in that size, and my car is chamonix.  So, I spent a bit of time painting a bunch of plugs with chamonix touch up paint (something like 5-6 coats).  The paint then washed off, as I washed my car, over a period of a few months. 

The plugs come in white in the 1/4 inch size.  So, I slighty enlarged the holes and used these.  The ones I found are not a solid white, they are somewhat translucent.  I put touch up paint on the back side of them, and that made them look a bit better.

I can't remember what size the large ones were, but I had the same problem--the correct size only came in black.  Same solution.  I enlarged these holes under the belief that someday I will have some rust spots taken care of, and the car repainted, and will have the holes filled in.

They come 2 to a package, and are cheap.  When in doubt, just buy one of each and see what fits.  That's what I did.

I always do it right the second time.

1970 2002 Chamonix (Fiona)

1976 2002 Chamonix (Blanche), '73 2002 Colorado (Nemo), '72 2002 Riviera, '74 2002 Atlantik, '71 1600 Sahara (Binkley) all sold

The small plugs are, I believe, 3/16.  However, they only came in black in that size, and my car is chamonix.  So, I spent a bit of time painting a bunch of plugs with chamonix touch up paint (something like 5-6 coats).  The paint then washed off, as I washed my car, over a period of a few months. 

lightly sand the tops, put them all on a rack made of finishing nails, spray with primer, paint with q-tip to match body(one coat), install.  no wash off....no odd color.  this worked for me.

2xM3