• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake Upgrade Options For 13 Inch Rims

POKTROKT

I am using slotted stock rotors from Bavarian Autosport, and the IE ceramic pads.  It's a great setup, noticeably improved braking, for what it's worth.

I always do it right the second time.

1970 2002 Chamonix (Fiona)

1976 2002 Chamonix (Blanche), '73 2002 Colorado (Nemo), '72 2002 Riviera, '74 2002 Atlantik, '71 1600 Sahara (Binkley) all sold

FWIW, you can get new manufactured volvo calipers, e21 rotors, and most all of the parts you'll need for the swap from rockauto for far less then the IE kit, but it will require you to modify the calipers yourself (not all that difficult if you know what you are doing) and source e21 hubs used. I looked into doing this myself and the cost difference was worthwhile, though it does require a bit more work. I'll eventually be switching to 15s, but I wanted to keep my options open to run 13's (turbines) just in case if I change my mind and decide I like the smaller wheels best.

I learned that the hard way when I set up my mini to run 12" wheels but decided later I wanted some oldschool 10s :).

1974 Grey European Market BMW 2002 

1976 Yellow BMW 2002 "GOLDENROD" SOLD

1972 Yellow Austin Mini 1000

A bunch of Bikes...

• 3 weeks later...

I think you've probably already made note but the IE Volvo BBK calipers sit a bit lower (the mounting points have been lowered) and clear a good number of 13" wheels.  The hitch being stock 13" steelies.

"This kit will not fit stock 2002 steel wheels, but will clear most 13" alloys (like the E21 turbines and E21 bbs basket-weaves). Panasport wheels and clones may not fit in diameters less than 15"."

How about tii alloy wheels? 13x5 et18

Ben in Denver

2000 Touring INKA 3357390

How about tii alloy wheels? 13x5 et18

Just as a note, and because ET does matter here, the early OEM alloy rims -- 3/71 through 8/73 (and which remain available) -- are 5x13, ET26. The late OEM alloy rims -- 8/73 through end of '02 production (NLA) -- are 5x13, ET28. ET18 factory rims are characteristic of the e21 cars, which were initially offered with 5.5x13, ET18 steel and 5.5x13, ET18 alloy rims. The sole '02 to come factory equipped with ET18 rims, specifically 5.5x13, ET18 steel rims, was the factory turbo. The turbo's optional alloys were 6x13, ET13.

Which gets to my point: it appears the turbo's stock 5.5x13, ET18, steel rims may have been dictated, at least in part, by the ventilated rotors/widened calipers the turbo used. I don't know specifically how the Volvo calipers compare to the '02 turbo calipers, but the 8mm to 10mm difference in ET does make some difference. IE is referencing the e21 rims because original 5x13 '02 rims are ET26 to ET28.

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I'll look at my wheels again and report back. I think I am wrong about et18...

attachicon.gifIMG_4002.JPG

Ben,

Most OEM BMW rims manufactured prior to 1977-ish -- whether they were actually produced by Mahle, F.P.S., Lemmerz, or Kronprinz -- did not have the ET cast or stamped into the rim. If your rims are from the original production of these rims, rather than from the modern production, I would, therefore, not expect to find an ET on the rim. Given that your car is a touring, I wouldn't be surprised if your rims were, in fact, factory installed as part of the Sport Package. Thus, you'll need to rely on actual measurement -- quite a challenge with tires installed and often inaccurate even with bare rims -- or published amounts. My suspicion is that your rims are BMW PN 36111107915 and were manufactured by F.P.S.; and these are ET26.

By the way, are those 205/60's that you are running? Any rubbing issues?

Thanks and regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Ben,

Most OEM BMW rims manufactured prior to 1977-ish -- whether they were actually produced by Mahle, F.P.S., Lemmerz, or Kronprinz -- did not have the ET cast or stamped into the rim. If your rims are from the original production of these rims, rather from the modern production, I would, therefore, not expect to find an ET on the rim. Given that your car is a touring, I wouldn't be surprised if your rims were, in fact, factory installed as part of the Sport Package. Thus, you'll need to rely on actual measurement -- quite a challenge with tires installed and often inaccurate even with bare rims -- or published amounts. My suspicion is that your rims are BMW PN 36111107915 and were manufactured by F.P.S.

By the way, are those 205/60's that you are running? Any rubbing issues?

Thanks and regards,

Steve

My wheels are from 73. I saw a casting date on them when I got new tires. The tires are 205/60/13 no rubbing issues except on the front passenger side when I hit a hard bump. My suspension is toast and will be replaced soon...

Thanks for the info!

Ben

Ben in Denver

2000 Touring INKA 3357390