Brake Upgrade Options For 13 Inch Rims

POKTROKT

I am planing on keeping 13 inch rims on my 1976 2002 but would like to run vented and xdrilled rotors up front. 

Looks like the volvo caliper upgrade will only work with rims bigger than 14".  Is there another caliper I can use that will fit over E21 vented rotors.

I think you've probably already made note but the IE Volvo BBK calipers sit a bit lower (the mounting points have been lowered) and clear a good number of 13" wheels.  The hitch being stock 13" steelies.

"This kit will not fit stock 2002 steel wheels, but will clear most 13" alloys (like the E21 turbines and E21 bbs basket-weaves). Panasport wheels and clones may not fit in diameters less than 15"."

I'm running e21 turbines 13x5.5 et 18. The key piece of information is whether or not the girling mounting holes have been repostioned to maximize the surface area of the pad. When this is done it moves the caliper closer into the center of the hub. Ireland Engineering (Not affiliated) kit does this. AceAndrew has some pictures in a post which broaches the topic. But on the flip side, I want to run a set of Cosmics. The rim mating surface has a lager circumference and interferes with the inner face of the caliper by a few millimeters.
Assuming you have non Tii struts, the other front brake upgrade uses Tii struts due to the diameter of the spindle.

Thanks Andrew :)

Edited by daron

Really, Tii brake parts are available everywhere and cheap! this is good news, I'm new to 2002's and I assumed they would not be easy to find and not cheap.

Thanks AceAndrew, for what it is going to cost I will give the Volvo calipers a shot, the wheels I want to use are aftermarket wide and with a low offset so they should clear the front of the caliper, I am concerned about the ID of the barrel.

I thought so, from what I have been reading Tii struts are not an easy thing to acquire, I'm going to "keep it simple" and do the Volvo caliper upgrade, sounds like if I reposition the carrier it will not only center the pad on the rotor but hopefully allow me to run 13" wheels.

i assume you already found this in your search for info....

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/_/technical-articles/brakes/vented-brakes-upgrade-r10

Yeah read through that once but just noticed reading it again:

"Be aware that certain 13" wheels will NOT fit over these upgraded calipers. In some circumstances, you can do a little grinding on the outside of the caliper to get them to fit, but you will need to start with a wheel with a good deal of offset amd should be as wide open inside as possible."

I should be okay, the wheels I hope to run should have low enough offset to clear the calipers.

Awesome build thread BTW! I'm going to be referencing it for ideas during my project.

Volvo calipers fit under 14's- the ubiquitous bottlecaps, certainly.

With a bit of slotting to get them in a bit to get the pad centered over the

rotor, they fit under my (approximately E21offset) 13 x 6 Panasports.

t

I'm in the same predicament as OP. I "bigger" brakes on a non-tii with the original 13" steel wheels.

I know I can find a used set of Tii struts w/ brakes. You guys keep mentioning the "more expensive tii struts" but when I looked up the Bilstein part numbers they are the same. I checked on BavAuto and Autozone. So i'm curious as to what is different for them besides spindle part? I would like to clear this up before I start spending cash. Thanks.

I'm in the same predicament as OP. I "bigger" brakes on a non-tii with the original 13" steel wheels.

I know I can find a used set of Tii struts w/ brakes. You guys keep mentioning the "more expensive tii struts" but when I looked up the Bilstein part numbers they are the same. I checked on BavAuto and Autozone. So i'm curious as to what is different for them besides spindle part? I would like to clear this up before I start spending cash. Thanks.

The Bilsteins are not struts but are strut inserts. You can use those Bilstein strut inserts in tii and non-tii struts; that's why there is a single part number for both. The struts themselves, which you don't normally replace when you need to, so to speak, "replace the front struts" are, indeed, different. Besides the thicker spindles on the tii struts, the mounting ears for the calipers and backing plate are different. If you search the forum on something like "tii struts", I'll bet you'll find lots of strings that illustrate and describe the precise differences.

Good luck,

Steve

Edited by Conserv