Video Inside: Strange Noise After Installing Rebuilt Head. S.o.s Help

Go to solution Solved by Tommy,

hello, i had recently had my 121 t head rebuilt and installed with a 292 cam (ireland engineering schrick replica) and new Febi rockers and newer style valve guides (my engine burned oil on downshifting). i had the head work done by A1 Imports so i know it can be trusted but when i started the car yesterday and it gave off a strange rattling noise (like a rattlesnake or sewing machine) but it fired right up. the timing chain looked good when i installed the head and i had made sure it didint skip a link by hanging it from the hood.

I havent adjusted the timing beyond just eyeballing where the distribitor was before.

Here is a video of the noise for reference. i havent adjusted the timing chain tensioner but my buddy had swapped his head his 02 witout doing so and it was to mentioned to me by the shop i went to. The motor has brand new oil (10w40) and water./ I changed the water pump with the head. the belt is tight.

video:

i was hoping to have the car ready for the 02 show comming up.

thanks in advance

There is no adjusting the tensioner. Did you prime the tensioner piston ? I would start there, but it sounds a lot worse than that. Is the cam chain threaded on the crank sproket correctly? Guide rail in good condition? Tensioner rail in good condition? Certainly something is not right, might refrain from starting it until you get to the source of the issue. 20w-50 with zddp

Edited by daron

There is no adjusting the tensioner. Did you prime the tensioner piston ? I would start there, but it sounds a lot worse than that. Is the cam chain threaded on the crank sproket correctly? Guide rail in good condition? Tensioner rail in good condition? Certainly something is not right, might refrain from starting it until you get to the source of the issue. 20w-50 with zddp

No I did not prime the tensioner. The guide looked OK on the intake side but the exhaust side had a slight chip on top. It looked like an old break however as the guide was coated with old oil and so was the break point. I fished a magnet down and didn't find anything in between the chain. I also have a magnetic drain plug and didn't see any major crap.

The chain was tight going on and I had an experienced Goodwrench friend help me and he had done another 2002 head a few years ago.

What do you recommend I do? Pop the seal on the tensioner and pour some oil in? Haven't ventured here before so you have to excuse my inexperience.

I'll order some zdp now but figured Id run the engine on regular Castro 10w40 for the first few hundred miles to make sure all is good.

Thanks

Edited by 1971Ginger

To prime the tensioner. Loosen tensioner plug a few threads, put some oil into the cup where the rail hook touches the tensioner piston, move the tensioner in and out, if the bb inside the tensioner piston is free and not pinched you will feel the hydraulic pressure build and a bit of oil will weep out of the threads of the plug. Tighten the plug.

I think it's time to go over everything again.  Valves, Timing, and even the geometry.  I sure hope your valves aren't tapping the top of your pistons.  I can't tell from the video.  As mentioned above, that motor is shaking around quite a bit.

the engine does shake a little bit more than normal as I have the exhaust bracket connected to the transmission without the proper bushings there for it does vibrate more due to the exhaust being directly connected. /I'll be putting the right bushings in soon.

Thanks again

02timingchaincutaway.jpgif a piece of the chain guide rail was chipped, or broken off,
that rail is old and brittle and should be replaced before
it breaks further and causes catastrophic motor damage.

the timing chain tensioner needs to come apart for inspection.
No scoring or sticking of the piston, all parts present in the right order.
Check ball, washer, spring, piston......
Inspection of that tensioner was as important as you changing the oil!
Use only 20w/50 or 15w/50 oils - please . Unless your in Alaska and it's no
warmer than 30*F.

Edited by c.d.iesel

I'll order some zdp now but figured Id run the engine on regular Castro 10w40 for the first few hundred miles to make sure all is good.

Thanks

I would put in some ZDDP as soon as you can, it is an important part of the new cam/rocker bedding procedure.  Shoot me a quick email,  have some decent break in procedure instructions recently finished.

I will add zddp at lunch, I've got the castrol oil there now. Should I dump that before adding the zddp?

I think you guys are onto something with the chain tensioner, the part that broke off seems to be the part that curls to make contact on the tensioner piston. What's strange is that there werent issues before pulling the head and I don't recall breaking anything (in was overly paranoid about the chain dropping or skipping a link).

Will replacing that part require major work? The head comes off again?but how do I get to the cover itself, seems like I have to go down far ? What do you estimate labor to be?