• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Upgrading Tii Starter. 2 Questions.

I've read many posts on upgrading from the original .95Kw starter to a variety of others. 

I can't conclude:

1.  If money is no object which is the best for cranking my tii?

2.  Is there an FAQ (tut) somewhere on installation of the same unit and electrical connection?

I'm hoping to unbolt my old starter, and "pop-in" a lighter faster cranking unit that has the same simple electrical connections as my original.

Could it be that easy?

Thanks for reading and replying.

Cheers.

73 Inka Tii #2762958

The S14 starter bolts up. I dont remember the number though on it.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

SR441x out of some '80s 7series. Boneyard for $20

There is a post which gives weight and Kw's of the stock starter as well as the 440x and 441x.

Also which vehicles you can scavange hem from

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/121703-starter-motors/?fromsearch=1

FYI on a tii .... there is a bracket which attaches to the back of the starter which goes down to the block, to provide support for the starter .... and the bracket also goes up to attach to the throttle body for support up there.

Some folks use the bracket, I guess others don't ..... 

Cheers,

Carl

Does the SR440x bolt to the bracket, or is an adapter needed?

Also, what alterations, if any, are needed for the wiring?

Man, I really appreciate this knowledge.  I'm itching to put a better starter in my car.

Cheers.

73 Inka Tii #2762958

I have no clue about the Tii bracket.

When connecting the 440x and 441x, connect to the correct terminal on the solenoid. It is not neccessarily the same physical terminal as the stock starter, you have to look at the markings or risk frying the solenoid. Also, the 440x and 441x do not have a spade terminal, so either put a ring terminal on your wires or adapt a spade end to the starter.

The later small case starters do not bolt to the support bracket. They are small enough and light enough to not need it, BUT you should still use it to support your Tii's intake! Also be very careful when hooking up the smaller upper connection for your Tii's cold start system. Some of the later starters have different uses for this lug, and can be power all the time, power when cranking (as yours is), or a myriad of other uses like ground! I've seen Tii's with shorted/fried cold start relay boxes due to hooking this wire up to an incorrect starter. DO your research and find a truly compatible starter.

Here's a link with downloadable pdf's of the Bosch Starter and Alternator catalogues.

http://www.bosch.co.nz/content/language1/html/4599.htm

Tom Jones

BMW mechanic for over 25 years, BMWCCA since 1984
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 585k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

This may help you on wiring.

M3starterwiringlightened.jpg

Use this bolt to make your life easier.

capscrewonstarter.jpg

No need to bolt the starter to the bracket for the lighter starters. But leave the bracket to support the throttle body.

Edited by BillWilliams

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

My "original" starter on my '73tii finally gave up the ghost last Spring, and I just went through this so it's fresh in my mind. 

Personally, I prefer the "original" look, so I took my starter to a local shop and had it rebuilt. 

I had one fitment issue because the rear cover bushing was shot and the shop replaced the end piece (which was slightly deeper)....soooooo, believe it or not, this very slight dimensional difference caused me to have to eliminate one washer on a stud at the rear of the starter so I could re-use the throttle body bracket and have things look original.  But, other than that little snafoo, I had no issues.

I highly recommend having the starter rebuilt.  I have an E30 M3 starter on my '76 and it's truly a gem, especially for a carburated '02 that sits alot....cannot beat the cranking power of a later model & lighter starter...but, again, if you want originality, I'd stay with rebuilding the old unit.

Edited by 02fanatic

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

Guess I should have included this picture in my first response.. Yes that is a piece of electrical tape covering the positive terminal.  I have not fitted the correct boot.

pics4122010009.jpg

• Like 1

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Jim,

With the stock tii intake cannister you won't be able to see the starter anyway!

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

Here's my rebuilt starter in place proper.....

post-9233-0-35981700-1368493405_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

• 7 years later...