Upgrading Tii Starter. 2 Questions.

I've read many posts on upgrading from the original .95Kw starter to a variety of others. 

I can't conclude:

1.  If money is no object which is the best for cranking my tii?

2.  Is there an FAQ (tut) somewhere on installation of the same unit and electrical connection?

I'm hoping to unbolt my old starter, and "pop-in" a lighter faster cranking unit that has the same simple electrical connections as my original.

Could it be that easy?

Thanks for reading and replying.

Cheers.

I have no clue about the Tii bracket.

When connecting the 440x and 441x, connect to the correct terminal on the solenoid. It is not neccessarily the same physical terminal as the stock starter, you have to look at the markings or risk frying the solenoid. Also, the 440x and 441x do not have a spade terminal, so either put a ring terminal on your wires or adapt a spade end to the starter.

The later small case starters do not bolt to the support bracket. They are small enough and light enough to not need it, BUT you should still use it to support your Tii's intake! Also be very careful when hooking up the smaller upper connection for your Tii's cold start system. Some of the later starters have different uses for this lug, and can be power all the time, power when cranking (as yours is), or a myriad of other uses like ground! I've seen Tii's with shorted/fried cold start relay boxes due to hooking this wire up to an incorrect starter. DO your research and find a truly compatible starter.

Here's a link with downloadable pdf's of the Bosch Starter and Alternator catalogues.

http://www.bosch.co.nz/content/language1/html/4599.htm

My "original" starter on my '73tii finally gave up the ghost last Spring, and I just went through this so it's fresh in my mind. 

Personally, I prefer the "original" look, so I took my starter to a local shop and had it rebuilt. 

I had one fitment issue because the rear cover bushing was shot and the shop replaced the end piece (which was slightly deeper)....soooooo, believe it or not, this very slight dimensional difference caused me to have to eliminate one washer on a stud at the rear of the starter so I could re-use the throttle body bracket and have things look original.  But, other than that little snafoo, I had no issues.

I highly recommend having the starter rebuilt.  I have an E30 M3 starter on my '76 and it's truly a gem, especially for a carburated '02 that sits alot....cannot beat the cranking power of a later model & lighter starter...but, again, if you want originality, I'd stay with rebuilding the old unit.

Edited by 02fanatic

• 7 years later...