205/60/13 Tires And Ie Suspension Setup With Stock Fenders

I have a Tii with poly bushings, IE stage 1 springs, bilstein HD springs, and the IE 22mm sways. No camber plates.  As it stands I have some coker XAS 165/82/13's on original alloys and I just got some cheapie 185/70/13's for my original steels that will allow me to save the prior given the now criminal prices.  I am tempted to get a set of R rated 205/60/13's (Toyo R888's) for some track time, and based on this article (http://www.2002tii.org/kb/324), I was always thinking about part time use of this profile of tire when choosing my suspension. 

Proper rim and offset aside, I have done much thread reading here and elsewhere outside of the above artice, but much of what I can gather can be sumarized in the following: this will be a tight fit for anything beyond posing/stancing if you run stock fenders.  i.e. Don't expect to corner hard or slam bumps without rubbing, unless your suspension is so firm it is immobile (or as in the article above... you have camber pates, which I do not have).  The problem is that it has been hard to find posts where people discuss specific rims, tires, and suspension setups... and utility beyond appearance (the stance thread generally lacks comments about rubbing under sport conditions).  

1. Anyone run stock fenders and the same IE suspension setup (or even Stage II springs, and bilstein sports), and 205/60/13's in an autocross or track fasion?  Any issues with clearance/rubbing?  If not, what tire do you run?  185/60/13 R888's also sound like a functonable track option, but they are a full 7% smaller running diameter than stock...

2. What rims do you use? What is the offset?  Spacers?  The above linked artice talks of 6x13's with 13mm offset... but I have yet to come across those in the modern era. 

Thanks for any help.  I am in a difficult situation in that Canada has limited options for 13's, so I would likley be ordering from the US, and thus paying a whole lot more than you folks pay once shipping and duty are factored in... thus I can't afford trial and error.  I will chat with IE Monday to get their take.  

I have a '76, with poly bushings, IE stage 1 springs, Bilstein HD's, and IE 22 mm sway bars.  I have a variety of wheels, but right now I have  a set of the E21 turbines, 13 x 5 1/2, with Falken 205/60 x 13 tires.  No rubbing at all.  On my prior car, a '73, I had the E21 BBS basketweaves (same offset as the turbines), and the suspension was the same, except I had H&R springs.  No problem in the front, but the rear rubbed a little and I had to roll the fender a bit.

Here's my '76:

CincodeMayo_zps38a91af0.jpg

CincodeMayo2_zpsf66ef34d.jpg

Here's my '73:

063_zps792d6ac8.jpg

Stu, thanks for the reply.

Do you have the front strut spacers in?

Camber plates?

Any rubbing turning full lock?

In an agressive turn, do your tires give out before they rub?

And finally, what setting are your sways at?

Sorry for all of the questions, but these are the details that I feel the stance thread lacks.

Cheers!

P.s. the cars look great

Edited by gliding_serpent

The thing is that regardless of rubbing or not if you do not run camber plates you will wear the outside fronts in no time on the track. Basically to run r compound tires you will have to have them.

Another consideration is the actual size of the tire. I have 195/50 r15r compound tires (and I would recommend a 195 if you can find that size) and they are wider than a non r 195.

Pete

Edited by peteinjp

The thing is that regardless of rubbing or not if you do not run camber plates you will wear the outside fronts in no time on the track. Basically to run r compound tires you will have to have them.

Another consideration is the actual size of the tire. I have 195/50 r15r compound tires (and I would recommend a 195 if you can find that size) and they are wider than a non r 195.

Pete

I am working to stay in the 13inch range... maybe 14, but I don't want to loose too much sidewall and compramise streetability which is my priority (and we have terrible roads). 

What camber plates do you run?

Stu, thanks for the reply.

Do you have the front strut spacers in?

Camber plates?

Any rubbing turning full lock?

In an agressive turn, do your tires give out before they rub?

And finally, what setting are your sways at?

Sorry for all of the questions, but these are the details that I feel the stance thread lacks.

Cheers!

P.s. the cars look great

Thanks for the complement!  Yes, I have the front strut spacers in.  I initially had them out, but didn't like the angle of the car--I prefer a more level stance.  Even with the spacers in, the rear is still a bit higher.  I do not have camber plates.  Go to the PNW section, and check out pictures of our drive yesterday (not my post, but the prior one from another who took pics).  You can see my car's stance at speed.

No, no rubbing when turning full lock.

Yes, these tires (Falkens) will give out, but slowly and predictably--but still, I have never had a front tire rub.  Same on my orange '73.  It had Sumitomo HTR 200's.  The strut spacers were removed, no camber plates.  I never had a front tire rubbing issue.  Also, the rear rubbing was never on cornering, only when going over a rise in the road at speed and coming down hard.

I have no idea what the setting is on my rear sway bar.  I do know that my front is set on the stiffest.  I suspect the same for the rear.

Good luck, and post some photos of your car!  Stu.

Loods great.  Is that riviera blue?

yes and no. 

It was riviera blue when bought, but in 89 it was over-sprayed with pacific blue after some large hail-stone damage.  During the rebuild this year I had the engine bay cleaned and painted to match the original riviera blue again.  This, or next year I will get the car professionally painted in riviera.     

I'm running 205/60-13 Sumitomos on AlpinA steelies with Suspension Techniques springs (similar ride height to ie stage 1). The fronts rub a little on the fender lip on one side (not the other) when I nail a hard bump in a straight line, especially under braking. They also appear to rub a little on the back of the wheelhouse (firewall) when I crank it full lock in parking lots. The fender lip cuts into the tread a tiny bit, but the firewall rub doesn't appear to cause any damage. I need to roll my fenders to fix it, but have some yet-to-be-installed fixed camber plates to try out first. So you might need a little fender roll or fixed plates to avoid rubbing in front. -Rojo

• 3 months later...

I am upgrading my suspension trying to determine my best options.  I purchased the car last December with what I believe to be a mostly stock suspension.  The sway bars are 16mm, the front struts are marked 1-0211-27-314-0 Boge.  The shocks are Monroe.  Not sure about the springs.  The wheels are 6J X 15 ET 12 turbine.

So far I've ordered Bilstein HD and I know I will replace the wheels.  I'll get some sway bars too. I'd like to go with 13" but I know tire availability can be a problem.  I am after a stock look (I'd go with steel wheels as long as they weren't heavier than an engine block) and I like th Panasports.  I'd like to have aggressive street ride that won't beat me to death.  

So looking at my car pictured below can anyone identify what I have and/or make suggestions?

wheelid

rtfrtwheel

topofpassfrontstrut

frontpassstrut

passengerforntstrut

passengerforntstrut

Driver's side rear spring perch botto

Driver's side rear spring perch botto

Driver's side rear spring

Driver's side rear spring

Driver's side rear spring perch top

Driver's side rear spring perch top

Does it ride high?  I suppose it must.  The rear tires rub on bumps all the time.  It sounds like box wrenches clanging around when I hit a bump.  And the fronts rub when the wheels turned to full lock.  Lemme see if I can take more pics.  

does the car ride "high"?  looks like you have a stock 02 suspension with stock spacers raising it up 1/2in in front, and someone added the same front spacers to the back to raise up the back.

those are wheels from an E21 320i.

Those are 15" x 6" wheels, not 320i wheels (?)