• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Really Cool Find

after a bit of internet stalking, I sent this....

cleardot.gif

Greetings,
I think I may have bought your fathers car.

I've owned BMW 2002s for the past 17 years.  My job has taken me from Sacramento, Ca where I brought my first one to Kodiak, Ak to Elizabeth City, Nc, back to Kodiak and then now to Clearwater, Fl.  The best one I've had was a blue 1975 that I bought in NC. Upon hearing horrible tales of traffic from people that have lived here in FL, I regretfully sold my 75 which now resides in San Diego, Ca.  I bought a convertible 325i to appease my addiction, but it wasn't enough.
Last week, I was browsing Ebay and found a very nice 1974 Inka 2002 across the state in Melbourne, Fl.  I bought the car sight unseen, going by the reputation of a well know BMW enthusiast that had done a lot of work to the car.  When I picked the car up I immediately fell in love with it.  That was last weekend.  I've been really busy with work and haven't had a chance to go through the car.  Having a free moment this afternoon, I started going through the glovebox and found a small journal which had led me to this email.   The journal is very meticulous, documenting the car's milage and history from the original purchase day until 1984 where by the change in handwriting, I'm assuming the car was sold.  Also in the glovebox was the original owners manual and original service record (pic included) which led me to the following link:
http://www.wpthistory.org/news/archives/000320.html
Upon reading that, I must admit that I got a little choked up.  My father was also in the USCG from 1956-1960 on the USCGC Taney (which fought in Pearl Harbor) and he led me to enlist in the Coast Guard in 1988.  I've been in the Coast Guard ever since and have been stationed in Miami Beach, Fl, Sacramento, Ca, Elizabeth City Nc, Kodiak, AK, and now finally in Clearwater, Fl where I found the car.  I'm attaching some photos of the journal and the car.

Sincerely,
TK Gustafson

Life's a garden baby, dig it.

My web album

75 Fjord

73 RHD Targa

That's awesome. Saw a similar little book on a 70's W111 I looked at last week, some people are really obsessed on keeping records, and 40 years later looking at it is just mind blowing. It had every single gas fillup since the car was bough new to date with 140K + miles.

76 BMW 2002 Arktisblau M42 5 spd - Born 5.21.76 - daily money pit

06 Aston Martin V8 Vantage 6 spd - garage queen *  73 Mustang Convertible 351C 

15 VW Touareg V6 Executive - daily driver * 23 Audi e-tron SUV (wife's)

sig_banner.jpg.5aeae468aebf7c560d52fe62d249efbd.jpg

and a few days later received this.....

Wow! Amazing,That is my Dad's car alright ,the handwriting clinches it! I remember the summer they went to Europe and bought it, Drove it all over for a month or so then had it shipped back to Massachusetts while they came back by Ocean Liner.I was just out of college and had fun at home while they were gone with numerous friends from N.Y.It looks in great shape ,wonder how many owners in between?Something my dad had that I wish I still had was a large enamel round sign with the BMW logo on it that he hung in the back stairwell of our house in Westport.I don't know what happened to it when they moved.I am now living full time on Maui,semi retired but still doing my art. 
My Dad enjoyed his CoastGuard duty ,He was in the school in New London and served I think on the Eagle ,but also was on a fireboat in New York Harbor ,and at the end of the war stationed in Hawaii.I hope you are enjoying your time in Clearwater.
I have a friend here who is a big car enthusiast ,has owned several BMW's and I will share this story with him. I thought my parents had gone a little wacko when they toddled off to Europe and came back with an orange car.A tear or two later they did the same and bought a canary yellow VW.I realize now that they were probably celebrating me being through with school and semi self supporting!They did have fun in it , Hope you do too. Aloha from Maui.,Kimble P.Mead
cleardot.gif

Life's a garden baby, dig it.

My web album

75 Fjord

73 RHD Targa

Looks like the notebook I keep in my 02! Thats awesome you found the owners son!!

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

Congrats!  A car with rich history to boot.  Looks great!  I like the color and the rear bumper.  I guess we need to plan a drive over to your neighborhood.

When you get a minute would you post the car in the Florida 02 Registry? http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/120883-florida-02-registry/

I am planning a coast to coast rallye and will be using that as a core base.

Again, congrats!

Edited by Koblenz

Brilliant story , nice car & excellent that you found true provenance on the car & it's original owning family, my father did the same with all his cars & recorded every gas (petrol ) fill up & mileage etc.

Thanks for sharing.

1970 4 speed 2002 (Daily driver/track car ) 
1974  Hybrid powered twin cam engine, Pig Cheeks , ( now a round tail.) Getting ready to Sell 

Had a similar experience with my '73.  Bought it from an AF Captain in 1978 here in Ohio...in 1995 I was reading an AF publication that mentioned a program headed up by an AF Colonel with a familiar name.  I e-mailed him and asked if he had ever owned a Sahara 73 2002 while living in Beavercreek OH...and it was him.  He was amazed that I still had the car, and said he regretted ever selling it. 

The bonus was that I was able to return a gold charm his wife had lost behind the back seat.  I found it in 1979 and kept it because (1) you don't throw away 14k gold charms and (2) I figured I'd run into him again--the AF is a pretty small town. 

These stories are always cool to hear about.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite