Rust On Clinders/pistons...options?

devotion

I have a 69 2002 that has been sitting for over 10 years. Body is straight, interior is fine...a few rust spots, but nothing I cant fix. My question is with the motor.  It has been sitting for over 10 years. When the motor was moved from its last storage place (outside) and a cup of water...or two or three fell out. Went down the spark plug holes with a bore scope to find rust. Cant hardly tell where the piston ends and the cylinder walls start! So I guess my question is this...rebuild? Replace? Swap? Or, sell as is? Thanks for the input/advice

You will be lucky to save the block without sleeving the cylinders.  The rust often has big pits that won't even clean up at max overbore.  For sure you are into a major rebuild, if it can be saved at all.  Expect the worst and hope for the best.

Photos show what you may get.

post-9282-0-98799700-1368322186_thumb.jp

post-9282-0-77556700-1368322199_thumb.jp

Edited by jimk

is there anyone out there that sells a "rebuild kit" Crank, pistons, rings etc...all in one easy to find spot for these motors?

Ran when parked unually means..."I parked it cause I blew a piston through the top of the motor...but ran great before that!"

No. No kit. what are the specs of your crank( rod and main)? does it need to be ground, with what size pistons? do you have stock or later e30 guides? do you want the 1.50mm or 1.80mm thick head gaset? cutting ring? reinz, goetz, mls, cometic? for stock bore to 2nd oversize 88.97-89.47 or bigger are you sure you have a 2.0 liter head and block or do you have a 1.6 or 1.8.  which pilot bearing do you need? NEW OIL PUMP ! etc, etc ....

No there is no 1 rebuild kit. Dissassemble and see what you have. If it looks remotely salvagable find a machine shop, they will either tell you what you need or you pay to have it built. If you do the work there are a variety of sources for the parts you need. Common source on the board is Bluntech. Steve is great.(no affiliation). real oem and penske have the part schematics as well as maximillion and bmw of atlanta. pelican, bmp design, bavarian auto, Top End performance, Ireland engineering, among others. There used to be a link for venders that was more extensive but was also outdated. this is the new link:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/links/category/1-parts-vendors-shops-and-manufacturers/

Welcome and good luck