Law Enforcement Has Issues With My Exhaust...

So I have a 1976 2002 with an M42 swap in it, and I have been pulled over a few times because my exhaust is "too loud". I have a full size muffler, full size resonator, and 2 catalytic convertors. I will admit even with all this it is still pretty loud. I have a feeling that the cops are just being a**holes but what can I do to fix it? 

Are you using the stock cat from the 318? I made my own for my e30 with 2.5 right off the cat. I have never been able to get rid of the rasp. I think it comes from the non smooth transition from the cat into the 2.5. Like blowing into a trumpet.

Good luck.

John

Oh, man does that bring back a memory.  November, 1972, freshman year in college, Triumph TR4A with a cherry bomb for a "muffler".  I had been scaring dogs and small children for six months with the loudest 4-cylinder, three main bearing engine in the city.  Going to class, driving down a valley, the noise echoing off the walls, it was finally too much for a local who wrote me up for "loud muffler".  He was right.  I'm sure I was overconfident because the week before I had passed a car on a two lane road with a solid line while taking my date home.  The car behind me was Major Mapes, head of the police department.  Red lights, warning to behave myself, etc. etc.

True story.  Ah, the misspent years of youth.  How did we survive?

Cheers!

Michael

Edited by mfbanres

Are you in California?

I had the same problem with my 16v Scirocco in Southern Cal, although I will admit, it was a little loud.  I was young and didn't care, but I was setting off car alarms.  I only got one fix-it ticket and I simply put the stock one back on, took it to get inspected, and then put the Magnaflow back on.  Pain in the ass, but had to be done.  That was 12 years ago though and I'm sure the LEO's have tightened down even further.

The only other constructive thing I have to add to this thread is by asking how old your E36 muffler is?  When they get packed out, they do tend to sound pretty loud and raspy.  I have a few friends with 100% stock exhausts on their cars with high mileage, and they sound like they have a lot of work done to them.  Maybe you simply need to get hold of a newer muffler?  

Ciao

Jason

I am actually in Minnesota. But the muffler has about 130k on it, so that may be the problem. But the cats were just on the E36 donor car and I figured they might as well be used. I'm going to try to get a new muffler and see if that fixes the problem.. Luckily I haven't had a ticket yet. 

When I was 20 the 1600 was Navada, had a set of webers and an Abarth exhaust (not really very loud) and I drove it like a total hooligan everywhere, the cops never even noticed. When I was 23 I bought a '70 Grabber Blue Boss 302 mustang with side pipes, first time through town at 25mph I had a cop follow me for almost 20 min before I got on the freeway and just drove out of his area. If your car is LOUD (paint or noise) you are just screaming "LOOK AT ME, NO REALLY I WANT YOU TO LOOK AT ME!" sometimes you do get what you ask for.

You might want to check your state's law on exhaust systems, or go to the SEMA web site and see what they know about Minnesota's exhaust noise laws.  SEMA has been pushing a "model" exhaust noise law to various state legislatures that defines an overly loud system by decibels, not by a cop's ear.  They have been successful in having this passed in a number of states just don't know if MN is one of 'em. 

This is in response to proposed legislation in a number of states that would limit owners to only stock exhaust systems, not after market which of course would cut into SEMA memberships' sales.

If MN has a decibel measurement noise law, the cop would have to measure your exhaust noise level with a DB meter at the specified distance to warrant even a warning, much less a ticket.

cheers

mike

Edited by mike

Well I used to have a straight piped 77 F250, and I never had trouble with that ever. That had to be at least twice as loud as my 2002. I actually called the officer that pulled me over to get more details about the exact reason and he had no idea what the exact laws were and I kind of laid into him about it. He said because when I downshifted it crackled and that was the main reason.. So he was just being a d***

I'm in MN also, have an m10 beefed up a little with headers and an ansa exhaust, and have never been pulled over (though of course I will be now).My bike is way louder than my '02, but the girlfriend says she can hear me in the car when I'm a few blocks away.

I'm gonna go with him just wanting to mess with you.