Memorial Day Thought To Share

Koblenz

Every Memorial Day I grill and play like the rest of us.  But in the morning before I start in on the day's activities I gather up a handful/bunch of American flags and head off to a local cemetery.  Once there I stroll around with no map and seek out the graves of Veterans. They are everywhere. The head stones indicate branch of service.  Put the flags on their site, say a couple of words and head home.

Target, Walmart, dollar stores, etc have flags for around a buck apiece.  The taller sticks with the flag about the size of a piece of notebook paper work best.

Most cemeteries I visit don't place American flags or offer them.  I'm sure some do.

I invite you guys to join me.  Thanks.

My Memorial Day is EVERDAY:

this is a memorial that I pay to have included

in the local news paper's special Memorial Day

Section

Major Karol A. Bauer

West Point Class of 1936

Army, Philippine Scouts 45th Inf.

Maj. Bauer survived the Bataan Death March,

was held prisioner and while being transported by

Japanese "Hell Ship" Oryoku Maru,

was killed during an attacked by US dive bombers

from the USS Hornet, Dec. 15, 1944, Subic Bay.

Our dear Karol is missed every day of the year.

He is survived by his daughter Nancy Earnest, 25 nephews

and neices, grand and great-grand children.

Maj. Bauer sent money to a friend in Darien

to pay for flowers. A gift to his wife and daughter

on their return to the states prior to the attacks on the Philippines and Pearl Harbor.

His nephew Creighton Demarest and his sister, the late Antoinette Demarest McIntyre

have been Darien residants since 1947.

MajKarolAnthonyBauerscreensaverw45th.jpg

THE day my uncle was killed by American dive bombers from the USS Hornet.

The ship is a recreational 'dive site' now in Subic bay

OryukoMaru1-1.jpg

there's a huge veteran cementary here in Darien, Connecticut.

Local Scouts install tiny flags at every head stone.

God Bless

Great idea.  When I lived back home - on Memorial Day and Veteran's Day we'd go to the National Cemetery where my dad (and my wife's dad too) was buried, and we'd bring extra flags/flowers and leave them on a few of the graves next to our dads, at random.  It's been a long time since then...  I'm going make it a point to find a local cemetery this year.

Thanks for sharing, c.d. - what i nice lasting tribute to your uncle.  Much respect.

Tom

Gentlemen:  excellent idea.  Will try to follow through.  We have a huge VA cemetary here in Dayton, and some of our older cemetaries have Revolutionary War vets buried there.  And typically in Ohio, there are small family cemetaries all over the place.  Several years ago I found a single grave marker along a rural road here in Greene County.  Could barely make out the writing, but I think it's for a Mexican War vet.  Eveery time I go by it I make sure the grass is clipped around it--sometimes it is, sometimes not. Will have to get a flag out there this year.

cheers

mike

Col, USAFR (ret)

This will get done in this neighborhood! There is a VA cemetery up the road by Santa Nella, the manager is a grumpy, mean old hag that refused Boy Scouts a few years ago, The Fed finally did good and let them place flags. I'll stick closer to home and wish my brothers peace at the five cemetery's we have close by