Engine Stall / On Ramps All Week

Hey Everyone,

Thought I would share.  I had my car up on ramps for 6 days because of a leak in the slave cylinder.  Got it off last Friday and put on the new one last night.  (not going to go into details into that knuckle buster).  Anyways, I got the car down from the ramps, pumped the pedal a few times to pump the carb, let it sit a minute or two to warm up.  I noticed the idle seamed a bit rough, started driving, got two blocks and the car stalled.  It felt like the engine starved so I checked the clear fuel filter and there was air in the line.  I pulled the fule line from the carb, pointed it into an empty bottle and held the peddle to pump some fuel.  Nothing came out.  My buddy was with me, looked in the trunk, and he couldn't see or hear the fuel pump functioning at all.  We played around with the line, got some fuel to flow back to the pump, that seemed to prime the pump and it started working again.  Fuel pumped into the bottle, we hooked it back up to the carb, I pumped the peddle a few times again to prime the carb, and voila!  No more problems, no more rough idle. 

Three things:

1. This is just an FYI for anyone else who might experience the same issue after having their car up for a week

2.  Could this be a symptom of a bigger problem?  Do I need to look into a new fuel pump?

3.  The filter seems to have a decent amount of dark sediment on the bottom half?  Time to replace?

Thanks,

Phil