Realistic Horsepower Numbers

Tangmere

Go to solution Solved by 2002inseattle,

Hello all!

I have a question. I am new to the 02 scene, and have done a little research, but have not been able to find a thread on the forum that really touches this subject without drilling down deep into lots of places.

What are the realistic HP numbers our little hot rods will producce reliably? What kind of numbers does the group have? feel free to list general mods to get where you are HP wise.

I apologise if this is a dead horse subject, and if there is a link to a post, please let me know!

Thanks!

it is a topic that has been beat to death repeatedly, but,  100-150hp (crank) is reliable range.  where in that range depends on the infinite number of mod options.

this is for a non-turbo M10.  once you get out of that box, the possibilities get out of control..

hardly anyone here actually does dyno runs to document numbers, so most reponses tend to be "butt dyno guesses".

Edited by mlytle

• Solution

it is a topic that has been beat to death repeatedly, but,  100-150hp (crank) is reliable range.  where in that range depends on the infinite number of mod options.

this is for a non-turbo M10.  once you get out of that box, the possibilities get out of control..

hardly anyone here actually does dyno runs to document numbers, so most reponses tend to be "butt dyno guesses".

I like that, "butt dyno".  I'm going to have to use that!

Thanks for the response, i do appreaciate it. So 98 from the factory (75 carbed) and reliable power up in the 150 range with standard modifications. Power to Weight makes that butt dyno go crazy. That will difinately feel like a hot rod. Marshall, your link looks to be down. I was guessing you had some pearls on your page.

Thanks!

Higher comp pistons, 3 angle valve job, 292 or the like cam, proper set up carburation ssssshhhhould get you in the 130hp area from my but dyno. My guess is that to go further you need to go with an S14 crank and big bore pistons. This is in the area of 160 to 180. And that's just conjecture.

John

Thanks for the response, i do appreaciate it. So 98 from the factory (75 carbed) and reliable power up in the 150 range with standard modifications. Power to Weight makes that butt dyno go crazy. That will difinately feel like a hot rod. Marshall, your link looks to be down. I was guessing you had some pearls on your page.

Thanks!

98 was factory carb number for 2002.

thanks for heads up.  link is fixed.  it was the link to the old faq.

Edited by mlytle

it is a topic that has been beat to death repeatedly

With the search function still a little wonky I would gladly entertain old questions.

I know AlpinA made 160hp from a 2l with a 300' cam and 10.5 compression with 45 webbers.

More power from an m10 can be had, but it all lies in the head, and headwork is expensive. I have seen an 2l m10 race engine with 265bhp on a dyno but that was with very expensive head work.

My car originally had a 2 liter Korman stage II engine, with ported head, Korman intake, dual Weber 40 DCOEs and a Schrick 304 cam.  The previous owner claimed 160 hp at the crank, and while I never dynoed it, it was a hoot!  

im a firm believer in the m20, alot more options for it and alot more power. although a love how much power these guys make out of their little 4cyl, the sream of I6 is unforgettable. im starting to collect parts now for my m20, and im hoping to have it in the car around xmas next year, (2014).

You don't need big displacement if you want HP but you do need a lot more cam, compression and head work!  This is a .5mm over bore 2 liter, actual displacement 2013cc. 

Wow, that's a lot of torque (and HP) at the high end of the RPM range. I didn't think those numbers are possible. Do you recall what cam was used? 

Well, my cars going on the dyno today ,so itll be interesting to see what it produces ....that will be RWHP.It hasnt got a lot done to it , 286 cam, 2x 45s, 9.2:1, slightly bigger exhaust system.

Will report back the results.

Im really interested in the results, that is about the spec that that my ti would be when done.