Cotter Pin Sizes? Idler Bushing Play?

Go to solution Solved by thehackmechanic,

Two questions:

1) Does anyone have a table of the cotter pin sizes for the front end (tie rods / center link / control arms / compliance bushings)? I assume they're metric, right?. McMaster certainly sells metric cotter pins but not an assortment box. When I've gone down to my local hardware store, the cotter pins seem to be too big and too small, none just right.

2) I started with prophylactic replacement of the ball joints prior to driving to the Vintage, and wound up freshening the entire front end. There was palpable play from the idler bushing. I now have the thing out, and test-fit the new bushings on the idler shaft, and there's the same play of the metal shaft inside the metal sleeves. I reinspected the original idler bushings (still in the car) and the play is about the same -- that is, the rubber is fine but there's a little play at the metal-on-metal of the shaft through the sleeves. I put the cap and castellated nut on the top and snugged the nut down hand-tight and the play seemed to go away. This makes me thin the play may have been due to the castellated nut not being quite tight enough. Does anyone else see this?

I culled the cotter pin sizes and part numbers below from RealOEM. Several of them show up as "ended." I assume that  "3,2x25" means "3.2x25," as 3.2mm is a size in the McMaster-Carr catalog. For posterity I'm including the McMaster part numbers and the nearest sizes

description part # size quantity mcmaster nearest part # control arm at subframe 07509064016 4x28 2 4x25 98350A360 radius rod at compiance bushings and control arm 07119945196 3,2x25 4 3.2x25 98350A270 ball joint   07119945193 3,2x18 2 3.2x20 98350A260 steering arm (idler) 07119945228 4x28 1 4x25 98350A360 tie rods, drag link 07119945112 2x20 6 2x20 98350A160

Rob--Finger tight on the idler arm castellated nut isn't enough, I just looked it up and its 60lb/ft.  I remember after replacing my idler bushings, the arm was rather stiff in rotation with absolutely no play.  Can't imagine that the arm spindle or sleeves are worn.  

• 7 months later...