• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

• 5 months later...

The date on the last page reads ix.1969...would that make in MY70? In 1969 the model was not too old, by 1970 it was getting ready to be replaced. Interesting shot of the ignition with what looks like a blanking plate. The phh is also visible...someone wanted a picture of that as original. 

Andrew

• Like 1

1971 2002ti, 1985 E30 320i, 1960 Land Rover 109 Ser 2, 1963 Land Rover 88 Ser 2a, 1980 Land Rover Ser 3 Lightweight 

15 hours ago, Oldtimerfahrer said:

The date on the last page reads ix.1969...would that make in MY70? In 1969 the model was not too old, by 1970 it was getting ready to be replaced. Interesting shot of the ignition with what looks like a blanking plate. The phh is also visible...someone wanted a picture of that as original. 

Andrew

Yes, Andrew, I’d guess both versions, Flunder’s, dated October 1969, and Jeff’s, dated September 1969, were released to “announce” the new (i.e., 1970) model year.

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Hi Steve,

Was there really a new model year for 1970 worthy of a new brochure? I thought that the ti was essentially unchanged from MY1969/1970. MY1971 had changes that were introduce before the end of ti production and carried on with the tii. I have only noticed minor differences in details between these model years that are not readily visible or verifiable (like presence/absence of some/all seatbelts anchoring points, brand of front seatbelt). Because these cars have lived checkered lives, it's a shame the brochures aren't 12 page glossies, but they would probably just point out how little difference they had to the 2002....

Andrew

1971 2002ti, 1985 E30 320i, 1960 Land Rover 109 Ser 2, 1963 Land Rover 88 Ser 2a, 1980 Land Rover Ser 3 Lightweight 

1 hour ago, Oldtimerfahrer said:

Hi Steve,

Was there really a new model year for 1970 worthy of a new brochure? I thought that the ti was essentially unchanged from MY1969/1970. MY1971 had changes that were introduce before the end of ti production and carried on with the tii. I have only noticed minor differences in details between these model years that are not readily visible or verifiable (like presence/absence of some/all seatbelts anchoring points, brand of front seatbelt). Because these cars have lived checkered lives, it's a shame the brochures aren't 12 page glossies, but they would probably just point out how little difference they had to the 2002....

Andrew

I suppose, Andrew, we need to see the previous ti brochure, and see what — if anything — changed. BMW, probably like other relatively low-volume manufacturers who didn’t perform a dramatic facelift each model year, carried forward many elements of their various brochures, updating only what needed updating.  As an illustration, there are at least five different versions of the 1975-76 model year brochure, with largely the same photos (first published in August 1974) but minor changes in details to reflect “improvements”, e.g., the disappearance of the thermal reactor exhaust manifold for the 1976 model year.

If I look at my collection of ‘02 brochures, I find that brochure dates appear to cluster around (1.) August through October, and (2.) December through February. This includes both model brochures and color brochures. If that’s statistically the case — I haven’t analyzed it to that extent — I’d guess that that occurred because (a.) BMW models, in general (like other manufacturers of the era), followed a September to August model year, and (b.) BMW, in particular, often made changes around the January 1 start of the calendar year, driven, at least to some extent, by U.S.-mandated changes which often had January 1 effective dates.

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it — well, at least until additional facts prove it to be wrong... ?

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

I have yet another version of the same brochure posted by Flunder and Jeff. My version, however, is un-dated and in Dutch. It’s imprinted — not simply stamped after the original printing — with the name and contact information for a Dutch dealership or importer. So it looks like a version was created by or for the Dutch market.

I note that the distinctive “un-moulded” steering wheel hub on all three versions of this brochure are of the style we commonly refer to as the “1968-style hub”.  If I were to find out that all, or most of the photos in his brochure date to late 1968, when the 2002ti was introduced, I would not be shocked! ? Because virtually all of the photographs appearing in the 1975-76 U.S. 2002 brochure must have been taken in or before August 1974 (the date on the earliest version), the back seat shown in all 1975-76 U.S. brochures is actually a 1974-only style.... ?

Regards,

Steve

8DA22639-52BD-44EF-856E-C399BD3E783B.jpeg

BD4C588A-F3E8-41ED-8311-4BFB16599E18.jpeg

1233F15D-D662-423D-9B18-B9F6B341FDAF.jpeg

05C036DF-12ED-4B81-943E-5FC4819B175F.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

Hi Steve,

My theory is that they had budget left over at the end of the year, the next motor show was coming and someone's cousin had a print shop that needed the money...but yours could be equally true. The only difference in the three brochures I could find was the reference to Spa. In one its Francorchamps instead and the fact that the Dutch one is undated with a printed on ID of the importer. It seems its not a dealer, but the national importer. The Dutch brochure doesnt have the legalese about reserving the right to change specifications without notice. I would need to look at my little dealer network book to see how many dealers there were in 1971 in NL.

That wheel style you refer to as un-molded was also mounted on my February 1971 2002ti, so I would not be surprised if it wasn't "the standard". I think Carsten's very original looking one had the same. I am a little irritated by the ignition key cover blocking the view of the key in the picture. I also see no hint of a hazard switch or optional defrost switch under the steering assembly though it might be unfavorable lighting. They go to the trouble of stressing options like CR five speed, limited slip differential and then post a car with no radio. Hmm. I just bought an old Land Rover Discovery, connected the OBD reader and read out the contents of the 23 ECU's the car has....

Andrew

• Like 1

On 8/6/2019 at 2:25 PM, Oldtimerfahrer said:

....connected the OBD reader and read out the contents of the 23 ECU's the car has....

Andrew

The ECU’s on my ‘02’s have turned up an amazing zero issues, Andrew! ?

The blanking plug on the ignition is something that suggests a pre-production model to me. We’ll probably never know for certain!

(So perhaps the smooth, unmoulded horn button was used with all, most, or some “sport wheels”.)

Best regards,

Steve

My english language 2002ti brochure is dated 8/68, and is identical to the one posted above.  My dutch version is identical to Steve's (no date), except that the dealership shown on the back is not the same.

My 2/71 ti does not have the smooth horn button, interesting.

P7270019.JPG

Scan_0001.jpg

• Like 1

1971 2002ti

My interior is pretty identical, except for the horn button, choke knob, and faceplate of the radio (radio looks to be the same though). You have added a few switches and instruments, I added the defrost switch but mine has no indicator light.

Andrew

• 3 months later...