Alpina 2Oo2 Gauge Cluster

markmac

For those wondering what one of these looked like, this one just recently sold on Ebay ($1600+).....wow.  This was what was available for the 71 and earlier cars.  Bezels are blacked out on the cluster in what appears to be a "satin black), the silver dollar gauges have black centers, You will note some of the other differences between the standard gauge and the AlpinA modifed gauge.  Speedo is a 220kph no AlpinA logo.  The tacho is really cool with the double adjustable pointers one for oil temp below 60 deg. C and then the other is for max RPM's.  Pretty rare item, haven't seen a complete set with tacho before.

www.alpinabmw2002.com

Edited by markmac

Very cool. I have a few silver dollar clocks and tachs and will build a tach with an adjustable redline needle one day. I'll probably leave my center silver though.

Great to see progress on the front spoiler, and congrats on the AlpinA '02 tank.

I've made some progress in cleaning up my garage and will do more as time and energy permit. My long commute, long hours at work and a pesky necessity for 8 hours of sleep every night get in the way of progress on anything but my daily driver cars.

That was the first real good picture I had seen of a real deal gauge cluster.  That one was still different from some of the other as it has (had) the second needle for low RPM running until oil reached temp.  I was surprised to have won that 90L tank, it really is in incredible condition given its 40 year age.  Ultra rare to find one of those anymore.  Debating about finishing the engine before I move forward with the bodywork.  My engine builder has been incredibly patient, the right thing to do really is to finish the motor then get back on the bodywork.  Not that my wife and I have given our pound of flesh (ah, no make that 10lbs to the state and the feds) in taxes we can move forward again with the car.  Going to try to make it up for a short time on Saturday to see some cars, may go to Sonoma on Friday to the races to see what is there as well.  Look for you on Saturday.

www.alpinabmw2002.com

I agree, $1600 (come on), but then again there are some serious collectors out there that will pay the freight.  This is really the first legit one I have seen - assembled, all the pieces.  The temp gauges and speedo aren't anything special, just the blacked out silver dollar and bezel and because it is a euro piece the 220kph speedo.  The tacho is the special part with the old school alpina script with the red line and oil temp needles.  Very cool.  Original sticker as well.  An awful lot of money though.  I was thinking this piece would sell for $5-600.  Wrong.  The legit old school (real) stuff is getting more and more scarce (if it wasn't already being 40 or so years old) and of course more expensive at the same time.....

www.alpinabmw2002.com

Edited by markmac