Need A 5 Speed Tranny

dudem3

I posted pics of my 5 speed tranny a while back and you guys id'd it as an 80-82 320i 5 speed.  The conversion was done before i bought the car.

The bearings in the one on my car are shot and getting worse every time we drive it.  The high speed whine and vibration used to only happen at 55 and above but now it's creeped down and happens at 40 to 45 mph.  I took it to my local shop and he confirmed that the bearings inside are shot.

So, I need another 5 speed tranny.  Besides taking a shot at one from a boneyard, who else has them for sale?  I did a search on www.car-parts.com and a local place has a bunch listed for $400 each but that seems kind of high for a boneyard tranny.  If anyone has one for sale, let me know.

Also, mine has the 4 bolt flange on the tranny and drive shaft, so do the 80-82 320i 5 speeds all have the 4 bolt flange and if not can it be easily swapped with the one from the current tranny?

The guibo is new, so besides getting new seals for the 'nused' tranny, what other parts should be replaced while swithing them out?

Thanks, never changed a tranny before and would like to try and get it right the first time.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.
With your permission we and our partners may use precise geolocation data and identification through device scanning. You may click to consent to our and our partners’ processing as described above. Alternatively you may access more detailed information and change your preferences before consenting or to refuse consenting. Please note that some processing of your personal data may not require your consent, but you have a right to object to such processing. Your preferences will apply to this website only. You can change your preferences at any time by returning to this site or visit our privacy policy.