Knob Removal From Headlight Switch

bnam

Mike must have it right but here is something else. The stalk of that switch may have a hole in it. If this is the one I think of, you can put a pick through it and hold the stalk while you unscrew it.

Also, one switch you have to carefully prise the cap off  and remove the small nut. You can probably look at your switches and see the PO scratch marks on the silver cap to determine which one that is.

Bill, the switch you have to prize the cap off is the heater blower/rear window defogger switch that's unique to the 71 cars and the 72s that were built before the four lever heater controls were adopted partway through the '72 model year.  With that switch, you pull it out to turn on the heater blower, and rotate the knob to turn on the rear window defogger. 

All the other dash switches have knobs that unscrew.  Arcane 2002 knowledge for today!

cheers

mike

Bill, the switch you have to prize the cap off is the heater blower/rear window defogger switch that's unique to the 71 cars and the 72s that were built before the four lever heater controls were adopted partway through the '72 model year.  With that switch, you pull it out to turn on the heater blower, and rotate the knob to turn on the rear window defogger. 

All the other dash switches have knobs that unscrew.  Arcane 2002 knowledge for today!

cheers

mike

One of those came on my Nov '73 Touring.

But mine you turn it for the 3 speed non-working blower motor and pull it out for the non-working rear window defrost!!!

Bill, the switch you have to prize the cap off is the heater blower/rear window defogger switch that's unique to the 71 cars and the 72s that were built before the four lever heater controls were adopted partway through the '72 model year. With that switch, you pull it out to turn on the heater blower, and rotate the knob to turn on the rear window defogger.

All the other dash switches have knobs that unscrew. Arcane 2002 knowledge for today!

cheers

mike

And my '70 had one of these dual-function switches. Since -- apart from the left-front body damage! -- the car appeared to be unmolested and had only 16,000 miles on it when I bought it in June '73, I believe the switch and heated rear window were original to the car. The original owner, however, recently passed away so I suppose I can never know for certain!

I'm thinking that the introduction of the heated rear window -- I believe you've mentioned that that occurred with the '70 model year -- may have forced BMW to come up with the dual-function switch solution!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv