Overheating '02

I finally got my 73 2002 registered and inspected this week after 2.5 yrs! I was driving it to the inspection station when I noticed the temp climbing. Just before it hit the red I pulled over and found coolant blowing through a hole in a hose- the one from the intake manifold to the water pump. I added water a few times and got it to the inspection station where I had the hose replaced. I thought all was well but during my drive home the temp gauge started climbing again brushing up against but not into the red. I pulled over and waited for it to cool.

Could I have blown a head gasket or could this simply be a stuck thermostat?

I guess there could be an air bubble too so is there a technique for burping it?

In your case, if you didn't have overheating problems before the leaky hose, I would suspect you have an air bubble in the cooling system.  Sometimes it can be difficult to refill a partially or completely empty 02 cooling system as air is easily trapped in various pockets (heater core, intake manifold etc).  Don't forget to turn the heater valve to "hot" when draining or refilling the system.

When I change coolant I usually fill the system up, then either drive a bit or let it idle with the radiator cap off, and watch the coolant level.  After 10-15 mins and coolant temp is normal, the level should not have dropped.  If it did, then there was an air lock somewhere in the system and you burped it out.  If the level didn't drop and the temp gauge is climbing, then the bubble is still there.  Sometimes it takes quite a bit of spirited driving (or loosening one of the highest--i.e. heater--hoses) to purge air from the system.

cheers

mike

whenever it over heats, you cause air pockets - WHY did it over heat in the first place?

coolent leaked during storage, then driving the car with low coolent the thermostat

has air trapped and it does not open and operate properly. Turn heater on to HOT, bleed the cooling system,

aided by raising the front of the car sometimes to help the trapped air to move.

Takes multi starting and running a few minutes, shut off and cool a bit, add more coolent mix, repeat

till coolent lever is stable, heater HOT, all hoses too hot to touch - then you have a full system

now - you could have a bad thermostat from the po over heating , you could have a failed head gasket where the coolent escaped during storage and running, all in the motor's history - how much of that history do you know?

Edited by c.d.iesel

It overheated because a coolant hose blew and it lost coolant. I replenished it and drove it a short distance until I could get the hose replaced. Definitely could be an air bubble. I added some more coolant this am and drove it and it seems a little bit better. Maybe some air bled out?