Search Doesn't Work

post-41120-0-21896200-1367901664_thumb.p

What am I doing wrong?  I'm having no luck with Search.  I tried "how to remove headlight switch" - nothing.

remove headlight switch, nothing.

Any way to get Google search (the Site search one from the old Forum) back?

Byas

Make sure after you type your search to specify which section you want to search. "Forums" is not the default. The default search area is whatever page you type the search from. It is verrrrry frustrating. I typed in oil pump the other day and yielded no results until I realized I was typing and entering from the members page......

• Administrators

search looks for the actual words in the post. so "remove headlight switch" will actually try to find a post that has all three. If that post does not exist, you will not get results. 

I can change this otion to search for "or" so the search will look for "remove or headlight or switch" You will get a lot more results, but less relevant ones

steve k

Searching on Google with the same phrase results in results with

headlight switch

headlight switch removal

headlight knob removal" etc

This is really powerful. And one of the important attributes of this forum is the content and knowledge stored in the forums. But, we need an effective tool to unlock this value. The new search engine is not it. I don't know enough about the complexity involved, but as a user I'd very much like to see the old site search capability (courtesy of Google or equivalent) reinstated.

If that's not possible,a quick explanation of why would be beneficial so that I and others like me don't continue to bother you with same request.

The changes made to the forum with your hard work are taken as a whole been great. Thank you for the fantastic, time consuming job. There's somethings we need to get used to and there are something that could be improved further.

Edit: My apologies -- I just read the earlier post from Steve where he stated he would be adding Google Site search back at a later stage (@ 80% coverage).

Thanks,

Byas

Edited by bnam

Thanks for all the replies and explainations. I would appreciate more options. I just did a forum search for "timing cover install" and I only got 1 result. So either getting the Google search back ro an easy way to switch to and "or" search that would be nice.

Thanks so much for all you hard work on the site.

• Administrators

I just changed the search from being "and" to "or'. Lets see how things work now. You will get a lot more results, but not all will be relevant.  Google and Yahoo spent millions developing the search engine algorithms. No one else comes even close at the moment. I will enable search through google once the crawl is close to complete. Right now, we are about 60% there. It just takes time for google to rebuild the index.

steve k.

Same search as before provided 163 results. So you're right about the larger results, but right now I think people would appreciate the wider net.

Is there a way to allow the searcher to select "and" or "or"?

You're totally right about Google. We definetly take for granted to work you do. Thanks for keeping up with it. We all appreciate it very much.