1974 Tii Emission Sticker

JAS

Hi all - repainting my engine bay and plan on putting new stickers in place once done. I have new stickers except the emissions sticker. Plan on have a local guy make me up a new one.

Some might think it a trivial point but I want to be authentic...the  original emission sticker on both my 1974 tii's (one's a parts car) say “...conforms to U.S.F.P.A. and...” 

Is this a typo? Thought it should have read U.S.E.P.A.  A friend's 73 tii says EPA not FPA.

Perhaps FPA stands for Federal Pollution Act? 

Those with a 1974 tii - what does yours say?

Thanks

May 21-13 Edit:  Reproduction emissions and tire pressure stickers now completed. See bottom of thread for photos.

post-36069-0-26117200-1367889340_thumb.j

Edited by JAS

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't believe there was much proofreading done with these U.S. underhood stickers. They are uniformly sloppy, full of missing punctuation, extra spaces, missing spaces, and inconsistencies. I'm pretty confident it refers to the U.S. EPA, as these references to the EPA appear on other models and years of the 02's, such as on my '76 -- in two places -- and eBay has a '73 tii emissions sticker with the EPA language.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200427303785?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

If all, or many, '74 tii's have this typo on their emissions stickers, however, I suppose you'll need to decide whether you want to use the typo version, or a corrected version!

Good luck with your restoration,

Steve

Thanks

I suspect it is a typo as I couldn't find any reference to an FPA from the early seventies on google. Makes me think of those coins  that had an misprint or extra mark and end up being worth a fortune! :)

Roger's tii has the '73 version on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200427303785?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I notice, Jim, that your '72 stickers were done on the self-destructive, perforated stock I've seen on '70-'71 EPA stickers. Someone here -- Mike! Les! -- will know when the use of that stock began and ended!

Regards,

Steve

Ask and you shall receive...from two different 71 2002's

IMG_8102.jpg

Emissions and Door stickers on another 71

IMG_6555.jpg

IMG_6569.jpg

Ahh, Jim,

I knew you were holding back! So '71 and '72, at minimum, appear to use the silver perforated stock for their EPA stickers. And I have a vague and possibly flawed memory of my '70 using likewise.

Much appreciated,

Steve