Slop In Wiper Assembly

I'm trying to diagnose why I have slow wipers. The motor seems to work fine. I pulled out the mechanism

and soaked each windshield post in PB Blaster. Judging by the color of the stuff that came out, I think the windshield posts had some rust in them. However, I thought that there was a lot of play in the center post ( the one that attaches to the wiper motor). Any one experience this? Also, what would you lube it with.

Thanks,

Bob  :huh:  

Actually, I just remembered, I had done something that speeded up my wipers recently.  I changed 2 things -- first the wiper relay and then cleaned up the ground.  The wiper is grounded under the dash not in the engine bay.  I think it was cleaning the ground that helped though the relay might have as well.  I'd forgotten about this change and checked it only after reading this thread.

Byas

Repacking the grease in the gears of the motor did not help mine much.

Replacing that rubber gasket under the nut that holds the moving shaft to the body did help a lot. The type of hose washer used on the hot water hose on your washing machine is an exact fit, easy to find and is meant to stand up to heat and being squished without cracking. When you have the nut off to replace the gasket there is enough space to take the extension tube on a can of WD 40 and bend it at an angle so that you can apply some underneath the lip of the splined shaft  that the wiper blade slides on to. The grease inside that is old and dry too. The WD 40 will mix with it and to some extent and make it less dry. Do that before putting the new gasket on and wipe away the excess since WD 40 is bad for some types of rubber gaskets. While you are fooling with it,  and the nuts are off the splined shaft you can move the assembly enough to see the little gimbals that connect the shafts together, you can use a long handled screw driver to with some grease on the blade to apply a little grease to them. I used silicone brake grease out of caution because I dont know what they are made of and dont know if there is any plastic or rubber in them.