1976 2002 Stalling On Hard Acceleration

ramayah

Hello my friends.

My car runs fine at slow speeds. As I push hard on the gas it speeds up and then dies. I timed it at about 1400 RPM with the ball just peeping out. The dwell is about 58-60  deg.  I recently put new Denso wires ,cap  and rotor. Sometimes when the car is standing and I rev the engine the tach will go crazy all over the dial and the motor just dies. At times it will start right up but at other times it will take a long time before it fires up again.

Your help will be much appreciated. Thanks,

Ramayh

You're doing things right--make sure the ignition is up to snuff before delving into the carburetor....

OEM Solex carb or aftermarket Weber?

Troubleshooting: 

On both carbs--with the engine off, remove air cleaner look down the carb throat, and work accelerator linkage.  You should see a squirt of fuel emerge from a nozzle in the carb's primary throat.  No squirt = the accelerator pump insn't working, and a hesitation under acceleration is a symptom of an inop accelerator pump.

On both carbs--clogged carb jets can cause the hesitation/dying as you transition from the carb's idle circuit to the main jet circuit.  When did you last clean the carb?

On the Solex, the second barrel is vacuum operated; if the vacuum diaphragm (similar to that in a vacuum advance distributor) isn't working (not an uncommon problem on those Solexes) your carb's second barrel isn't opening, causing the hesitation. 

On the Weber, the second barrel is mechanically operated; if it's not functioning/opening, then you'll have the described symptoms. 

Finally:  vacuum leak--check the vacuum ports on the carb, the intake manifold, and the vacuum advance unit on the dizzy.  Even a small vacuum leak can cause problems, but normally at low rather than high speeds.

Let us know whatcha find

mike

Hi Mike,

The carb is a Weber 32/36 dgav. I don't see any squirt when I work the accelerator. No wonder it cut on the driveway and would not start. After about an hour it started but as I revved it up it died and then kicked up again all by itself and kept running. There is a screw under the carb that regulate the choke butterfly; I back it up one turn and the car started. I looked down the throat while the engine was running and can see the squirt of gas in it. However, revving it up I don't see any squirt of gas on the second throat.

I see gas coming out of the line from the fuel pump to the carb when I turn the ignition key to start. So. I presume that gas is getting to the carb. What happens after that I really don't know.

I never cleaned or service the carb. I owned it for over15 years. I will have someone to check the vacuum units you mentioned. Thanks.

Hello C.D,

I will check all the wires and connections to make sure they are tight. Thanks

Randy

Hello Friends,

I finally got the car running well. I tightened all the connections to and from the dizzy and coil as suggested by c.d. I also tightened all the hoses, vacuums and others. I nail-filed the points a bit too. Now the tach doesn't dance around unsteadily but moves smoothly.

Today,I went  to a carb rebuilder and told him I wanted the Weber 32/36 to be cleaned and serviced. He ran tests and said the carb needed a complete rebuild.For this service I paid $60. The cost for the rebuild and labor is. $509.95. Is this not too expensive?. Please advise how get it done cheaper if there is a cheaper way.

Thanks all.

Randy

• 3 years later...

I just sent you a message regarding this posting to your account...hope I am not too confusing. I was hoping to find out a bit more about this problem of yours, as I have some of the same issues you describe with my 1976 2002. Please share with me what the final outcome was on your situation. I am not handy at all with cars, but I do want to know what is going on to talk to a mechanic about getting it fixed.