It's here somewhere, and I'm pretty sure Mike Self mentioned it last weekend in Eureka Springs but I'll ask anyway, I still can't figure out the search function.

If the vacuum advance is working correctly can simply sucking the vac advance tube move the advance plate?  Mine does not move unless pushed with a screwdriver.  When the Vacuum advance is removed the plate turns freely. 

Thanks,

Don

Thanks Jim.  That's what I thought.  I wanted to ask the question before send more money to Blunt. Actually he suggested the post.

I do not have another vac advance distributor.  I can move the plate then close the tube and it holds the plate advanced. It doesn't move unless I use  a screwdriver.

Thanks,

Don

I can move the plate then close the tube and it holds the plate advanced. It doesn't move unless I use  a screwdriver.

Hmm, that is interesting.  Usually, if you are doing this, that indicates the diaphragm is good.  I'd replace it anyway. Can you just get the canister from Steve?  Make sure you provide him the complete Bosch distributor number.

IF you are pulling the distributor out for this R&R, I'd rinse out the entire distributor housing with Liquid Wrench or other penetrant to see if your advance weights and plates are sticking together. Maybe that is your problem.

Edited by jgerock

Hmm, that is interesting.  Usually, if you are doing this, that indicates the diaphragm is good.  I'd replace it anyway. Can you just get the canister from Steve?  Make sure you provide him the complete Bosch distributor number.

IF you are pulling the distributor out for this R&R, I'd rinse out the entire distributor housing with Liquid Wrench or other penetrant to see if your advance weights and plates are sticking together. Maybe that is your problem.

It's interesting, the distributor was "refurb'd" by Advanced Distributors 4-5 months ago.  Hopefully it's clean from that episode.  Obviously they didn't test the vacuum, I'll be talking to them on Monday.

Steve tells me the individual part is available, good idea to send the distributor number.  Pretty sure it's original to the car.

Thanks for the help,

Don

Edited by beammmer

Anyone repaired a punctured diaphragm with self sealing goop (like for tires etc).  Squirt a bit into the can, blow some compressed air to get the good flowing thru the puncture.  Let it set.  I think I have an old can in the garage,  I should try it.

Byas

Anyone repaired a punctured diaphragm with self sealing goop (like for tires etc).  Squirt a bit into the can, blow some compressed air to get the good flowing thru the puncture.  Let it set.  I think I have an old can in the garage,  I should try it.

Byas

Hi--

I tried that with windshield sealing RTV (more liquid that the normal stuff) the last time I had a smog test; I knew they would check the vacuum retard to see if the RPM changed with vacuum.  It worked for the test, then I put back my 005 distributor with a working diaphram.  But no emissions testing for almost 2 decades!

Larry

Don

When the guys at Advanced Distributor rebuilt my 73's dizzy, it was recurved for my specific engine (284 Schrick, 9.5 pistons, lightened flywheel).  He left the vacuum advance unit in place for visual correctness, but didn't connect it to the point plate--deliberately.  Is yours the same way?

If it is in fact connected, you may need to either (1) lubricate the point plate 'till it moves from the vacuum alone (no screwdriver assistance) or (2) buy a new point plate and install it. 

cheers

mike