Paint That Matches Oem Engine Bay Black???

Does anyone know a good commercial rattle can type paint that closely matches the OEM black of the brake booster/subframe/various engine bay components??  I have my booster out/stripped and want something that will hold up and somewhat closely match the original black.

TIA

TK

Satin is the finish you are looking for, not gloss, not black.

+1 (And I suspect Bill's last two words were meant to be "not flat.")

That said, I don't have a suggested rattle can finish for you! I use my powdercoater's version of satin black if the piece can possibly be powdercoated. And every brand of rattle-can satin black paint takes a different interpretation of satin. Look at Eastwood for some ideas.

Steve

second try

newsheen1-1.jpg

Newairbox12-1_zps57a578a2.jpg

Bill,

I'm just about to paint my blue coil to look like a black coil. Is that what you did, or did you swap out the black for the blue (probably the latter as I see your air housing clamps are freshly redone/replaced in the second photo)?

Thanks,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

Lots of posts have been started on painting parts, especially the tii air cleaners (and clips!).

I believe Bill is correct on the satin (or semi-gloss) finish for the brake booster, but I use whatever spray paint I have on the shelf.  For a satin finish, I've used "Trim paint" that is typically used to re-paint exterior "black-out" trim like B-pillar window trim on many cars.

Eastwood has a great range of spray paint.

Hi--

Wurth used to make a good satin black in a spray can, but it may have been non-VOC compliant and therefore discontinued.  One vendor of that stuff (but probably no longer) is Goodspeed [http://www.goodspeedmotoring.com/aerolos-wheel-paints-and-primers/trim-paint/].  They have the SEM paint mentioned before.  Most likely there are many other vendors, like Eastwood.

Larry

The clamps to hold the three sections of the air box should be black. I had them yellow zinc and now they are black. Yes, I painted the coil with a high temp black. I generally use what is on the shelf.

All of the hose clamps are now the NOMAR type and plated silver zinc.

Edited by BillWilliams

The clamps to hold the three sections of the air box should be black. I had them yellow zinc and now they are black. Yes, I painted the coil with a high temp black. I generally use what is on the shelf.

All of the hose clamps are now the NOMAR type and plated silver zinc.

Thanks, Bill.

Steve