Low Beam Relay

gyro411

All three relays above the battery (high beam, low beam, and horn) are the same.  You can switch them around to verify that the relay is your problem.  In my 32 years of ownership of my '75 I've never had one go out.  Same on my wife's '76.

Bob Napier

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E23-E24-E28-E30-Multi-Purpose-Relay-OEM-Bosch-4-Prong-61361378238-/151019019254?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1976|Make%3ABMW|Model%3A2002&hash=item23296f5bf6&vxp=mtr

Check the pin #s on the bottom to see if they match up to this one.  I cannot find the Round metal ones that come stock.  I am using two new 5-prong ones from newer BMWs and it works fine.  the 5th prong is an extra ground that just fits in the middle of the connector so its no issue

The low-beams are on seperate fuses (#9 & #10 in your car) so if both low-beams are out it would be unusual for it to be the fuses.  Having said that, though, I still make sure both of those fuses are good, and rotate them a little in their fuse holders to make sure you're getting good contact.  I'd also suggest removing each fuse and inspect the ends to make sure you don't have a "donut-hole" burned in the end.

Maybe some elec. surge burnt them both, and, if that's the case you need to do some detective work to see what might have caused that to happen.

Bob Napier