• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aerodynamic Mods...

Rocan

The overall shape of the 2002 doesn't help at all but sure there's a ton of things we can do to improove the aerodynamics of the car and it DOES make a difference. I own a 86" Taurus LX which is very very aerodynamic and at hwy speed it shows...take the pedal of the gas and it barely looses speed do that on my 2002 or E21 and it's like hitting a brick wall!

I've seen guys blocking grilles and making all sorts of wacky things, I love the look of the car too much to go that far but those racing kits look great!

I'm no longer affiliated with Maximillian Importing Company in any way, please address any questions directly to them.  -Thanks.

2002 "tii" coupe 1970
E21 320/6 2.7 Stroker 1981
E23 730 1978

Using the very common 4:1 ratio for boat tailing, I was surprised to find that the rear end of the 02 is almost spot on for a kamm back of the correct proportions. With a window louver (more or less exactly whats in the video) and a small trunk lip (more or less the 2002 turbo lip) a 20* kammback can be made without much work at all and without interfering with rear visibility too greatly (so long as the louver is clear plexi). Aside from the improvement in aerodynamics, I think this would look pretty badass. I would estimate about 5% aero reduction from this alone. 

With a diffuser, flat underbody, and front spoiler I think around 15-20% reduction in drag is attainable with about 10% increase in downforce (maybe even more considering that the front lifts in stock form). 

hmmm...so basically all this aero work on the rear to get us.....the stock profile of a 2002 touring (hatchback)..... ;)

Edited by mlytle

2xM3

hmmm...so basically all this aero work on the rear get us.....the stock profile of a 2002 touring (hatchback)..... ;)

Excellent point, Marshall.  So Nick, you've got the optimal M2 after all!! 

Edited by Ian

Ian
'76 M2

'02 325iT

hmmm...so basically all this aero work on the rear get us.....the stock profile of a 2002 touring (hatchback)..... ;)

Pretty much.

I didn't want to have to be the one to say it, and at the end of the day, I can't afford a touring (but jeez, I would love one)... So shoo!

Really is interesting though how the touring is a properly dimensioned kammback... I wonder if the engineers were actually considering the aerodynamics of the 2002, if only as an afterthough. 

1974 Grey European Market BMW 2002 

1976 Yellow BMW 2002 "GOLDENROD" SOLD

1972 Yellow Austin Mini 1000

A bunch of Bikes...

BMW_2002_Group_5_1977_-_Flickr_-_exfordyBELLY PANS
LOWEST RIDE HEIGHT POSSIBLE
ELIMINATE ALL WEIGHT FROM CAR
REDUCE FRONTAL AREA = nothing wider than stock fenders & no mirrors
STUDY BONEVILLE SALT FLAT CAR DESIGNBMWMOTORSPORTpub1978aero5.jpg

Edited by c.d.iesel

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Belly pans; C.D. that is a brilliant suggestion!  I was in the process of figuring out what to do with the floors of my car, since I'm repairing rust anyway.  I came up with all sorts of complicated thoughts, but making pans is the easiest.  My e46 has plastic belly pans that span the entire undercarriage, hiding the engine, tranny, exhaust, driveshaft.  Why not make some for the 2002?

By making some aluminum belly pans that attach to the underside of the car, I could also simplify my fuel and brake line plumbing.  Just run them straight back down the middle of one side of the cabin on the underside of the steel floor, and have a set of full-width belly pans that stand off the bottom of the steel floor by 0.5". Heck, I could apply some stick-on insulation and even make an air-gap, which would quiet the car and keep the heat out.  

Ian
'76 M2

'02 325iT

E46 belley pans INDEED! and M-B 300SL Gulwing, 1990> M-B diesels

for AERO, fuel economy, AND for noise insulation / isolation reasons.

You could fashion front AND rear pans from re-cycling BMW, Volvo, other

newish cars belly pans - but custom shaping a huge sheet of aluminum would be best

for clearance around suspension. Don't forget to cover the d-shaft tunnel and rear

diff areas. Any place underneath where air can get snagged. Quick disconnect

fasteners for inspection and servicing.

the mercedes-benz way of 300SL belly pan ing

MB%20BELLY%20PAN%206.JPG_.jpg

Edited by c.d.iesel

I remember the first time I saw the underside of a 300sl up close, I was surprised to see a belly pan! Very very cool, and a very well thought out design as far as vents go. 

I was thinking of getting some dibond or alumalite sheets from a sign store... Luckily there is one just across the street from me; I'll have to stop in and see if they'll sell me material! Then bond it to the body using 1/4 turn panel fasteners (dzus, but not brand name ;) ). 

A bunch of Bikes...

• Administrators

Adding a wing in the back will not give you better fuel milage. A wing will generate downforce and at the same time will generate drag. Any additional drag will force you to burn more fuel.  Also, as shown in other images earlier, the abrupt roof on the car does not create a good flow to the wing if it's mounted on the back of the trunk. Creating better flow off the roof and off the trunk will both reduce drag and create some downforce.

Adding underbody panels will increase the speed of air flow under the car and that will create downforce through the whole car.

Adding a proper splitter will create downforce concentrated on the splitter and thus increasing front wheel tractions. 

This works very well:

4824306065_0d0eb992ac.jpg
New splitter by misfit76, on Flickr

4824930414_4a0b848296.jpg
New splitter by misfit76, on Flickr

4828440520_396f407078.jpg

4828440948_b465881d7e.jpg

it ends before getting to the front wheel due to class rules.

steve k

Get your 2002 FAQ merchandise from 2002FAQ Store

nice under pinning Steve

remember what the men working in the M-Benz Gullwing shop were doing 10  years prior -

hand forming air craft cowlings. I've always loved the art of louver making.

messerschmitt-bf-109-d1-fighter-01.png

• Administrators

I love those little pins. High precision and strong. they supports 5000lb for something that almost has no weight.

Had to make the splitter removable to be able to get the car in and out of the trailer. That has been resolved with longer ramps, but it is still good to be able to remove it in  just a couple minutes.

The closer you can get the splitter to the ground the more downforce you can generate, but as soon as it touches the ground, you loose all the downforce since you no longer have the airflow under the splitter.

steve k.

Good post Steve... And you are absolutely right; A wing generates downforce at the cost of additional drag.

I think you misunderstood my post where I stated adding a trunk lip spoiler would help aerodynamics; by itself it would increase drag, but a lip spoiler in addition to a window louver that extends down from the roof line (see the previous page with my sketch) should help with flow. 

With a boat tail rear end (what I am describing is a sort of partial boat tail, but it should work very similarly to a boat tail) you want a sharp edge if you are not bringing the rear end to a point (which I am not planning on doing...maybe if I ever go land speed racing). in stock form, you want a rounded edge. the 2002 turbo spoiler should be just tall enough to help keep continuous flow off the roof/window spoiler and the sharp edge coincides with what Wunibald Kamm proposed in his original findings. 

Did you actually notice a difference in front end grip following the install of the splitter? I know you mostly do Auto-X, where speeds are generally too slow to notice the effects of aero devices, but what about on the track and around town?

c.d.... I completely forgot the Gullwing guys did aircraft as well... when it comes to relating cars to planes, I automatically think of the Swedes and the Bavarians. Indeed, louver making is an absolutely amazing skill. Really any complex panel beating is absolutely mind blowing to witness first hand. 

A bunch of Bikes...

• Administrators

Did you actually notice a difference in front end grip following the install of the splitter? I know you mostly do Auto-X, where speeds are generally too slow to notice the effects of aero devices, but what about on the track and around town?

Huge difference. Had to change a lot in suspension set up to prevent the rear from spinning in every turn.  But there is no such thing as too much grip if you can tweak things.  I added a Turbo spoiler to try to get a bit more downforce int he rear and notice that it did nothing. The easiest way to see the airflow over the rear of the car is to observe the dust and dirt after the rain. Clean parts get air flow, dirty parts do not :)

steve k.

Huge difference. Had to change a lot in suspension set up to prevent the rear from spinning in every turn.  But there is no such thing as too much grip if you can tweak things.  I added a Turbo spoiler to try to get a bit more downforce int he rear and notice that it did nothing. The easiest way to see the airflow over the rear of the car is to observe the dust and dirt after the rain. Clean parts get air flow, dirty parts do not :)

steve k.

Awesome! At what speed does the front end work really come into play?

Or you could always attach some tafts all over the body and put a camera on them... though that is a pretty smart way to get a good general idea. 

A bunch of Bikes...