Distributor Flang Leak

Zorac

fresh rebuilt engine, i had about 300km before the distributor flange started leaking, now ive had the flange off a few time to redo the gasket, but for the life of me i can get it to seal. leaking from the bottom, or near bottom. its all dry except a dibble of oil across the bottom.

ideas on how to put this on without leak before i go through another gasket?

I nearly went mental with a similar problem. Turned out it was the O-ring sealing the distributor and not the flange seal to the head. It never looked as if it came from up there, but trying a new o-ring solved the problem.

ill check that again. i keep wiping my finger around it after every drive and i swear its coming from the bottom bolt on the flange. i was getting a little oil out the bottom of the distributor at one point (maybe the first 2 or so times i ran it), but that stop, presumable as the pistons start to seat.

• 2 weeks later...

bump, doing a new gasket this weekend (ive tripled checked my o ring and pretty sure its not the problem), any reccomendation on method of installation or is that question as dangerious as asking for your favorite kind of oil? 

i was thinking a light coating of dirko on the new gasket, snug the bolts, let it sit over night, then torque the bolts.

If you are using any kind of sealant on the gasket it is possible you have plugged the return hole in the bottom. there is an open hole from the distributor housing back into the engine just under the camshaft and it is just a gravity feed, if you have filled it with RTV or Ptex you will pressurize the housing and it will leak. Also there is a "O ring" washer that fits under the head of the bolt on the intake side of the housing (right below the oil pressure light switch) that would have come in the gasket set. That bolt sees pressure and it will leak if you use a regular 6mm washer.

i check the return hole each time i put it off, and no issue yet.  i did use a little extra last time though being frustrated with it, ill know as soon as i start cleaning it up.  i did get a new o ring washer as well, the old one has been reused a few times.

this is my last leak, and i jsut cant get it!

After a top end refresh 5 years ago along with installing a rebuilt distributor (new o ring), my distributor flange is starting to leak.  I noticed it two weeks ago when changing my coolant.  Oil is coming from the right-hand side near the larger (13mm socket size) bolt.  I was thinking it was a leaking valve cover gasket, but I cannot determine exactly where it is originating.   Oil is dripping down the transmission bellhousing -  not enough to get on the exhaust, but enough to wipe off.  

After a top end refresh 5 years ago along with installing a rebuilt distributor (new o ring), my distributor flange is starting to leak.  I noticed it two weeks ago when changing my coolant.  Oil is coming from the right-hand side near the larger (13mm socket size) bolt.  I was thinking it was a leaking valve cover gasket, but I cannot determine exactly where it is originating.   Oil is dripping down the transmission bellhousing -  not enough to get on the exhaust, but enough to wipe off.  

same thing here, just enough to make a mess of the bell housing. seems to be coming from the bottom 10mm bolt though. ive wiped the flange with paper towel a number of times trying to figure out where its coming from... put another new gasket and o ring on yesterday, so well see how that goes.

• 8 months later...

Lifting this thread due to my flange still leaks! I have gasket + RTV, changed O-ring on distr. and new gasketed seal and bolt. Have I forgotten something or does anyone have a idea of why my flange is still leaking? Oil is coming from the 13mm socket bolt area.

I will try to change the flange and only use RTV and see if that will solv the leak.

Any ideas is much appreciated.

//Micke

one of the bolts has a sealing washer (thick aluminum thing) kind of like the drain pan.  try a new one of those.  i ended up chainging the gasket a few times (always a combination of new gasket with a very thin skin of rtv) as well as the o ring.   felt like i was chasing it in circles.  fix one spot, and it would just come out somewhere else!

Do not use RTV only. The Gasket acts as a spacer and i had problems refitting my distributor when i used RTV only because that gasket moves the flange back by 1-2mm.

Lifting this thread due to my flange still leaks! I have gasket + RTV, changed O-ring on distr. and new gasketed seal and bolt. Have I forgotten something or does anyone have a idea of why my flange is still leaking? Oil is coming from the 13mm socket bolt area.

I will try to change the flange and only use RTV and see if that will solv the leak.

Any ideas is much appreciated.

//Micke