• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sway Bar Options

bnam

+1 for the IE front and rear with all urethane bushings.  I'm running stock springs and Bilstein HD's.  Body roll went from horrible to non-existant.  

One of the best upgrades I did to my car.

I've been considering this exact setup since I daily my car and I don't really feel I would benefit much from lowering since it will leave me stranded in the winter, and that is half the fun! How do you like it? I've been driving on a stock (but maintained) setup for a while now and actually feel that BMW got the spring rate right from the factory, though with the gas-adjust (or whatever crap shocks I have in there now) it is way under-dampened and rolls far too much thanks to those spaghetti strings BMW called anti-sway bars. 

How do you like it? Does it leave you wanting more or are you happy with it? I was going to start with sways, shocks and camber plates and then see how I like it, but I get the feeling it will be just perfect everywhere except for the occasional auto-x or track day, but for the few days out of the year that is, it's not worth the harshness day to day... or is it ;) ?

1974 Grey European Market BMW 2002 

1976 Yellow BMW 2002 "GOLDENROD" SOLD

1972 Yellow Austin Mini 1000

A bunch of Bikes...

I've been considering this exact setup since I daily my car and I don't really feel I would benefit much from lowering since it will leave me stranded in the winter, and that is half the fun! How do you like it? I've been driving on a stock (but maintained) setup for a while now and actually feel that BMW got the spring rate right from the factory, though with the gas-adjust (or whatever crap shocks I have in there now) it is way under-dampened and rolls far too much thanks to those spaghetti strings BMW called anti-sway bars. 

How do you like it? Does it leave you wanting more or are you happy with it? I was going to start with sways, shocks and camber plates and then see how I like it, but I get the feeling it will be just perfect everywhere except for the occasional auto-x or track day, but for the few days out of the year that is, it's not worth the harshness day to day... or is it ;) ?

I drive mine everday with some of the shortest and stiffest springs you can put in stock. It's rough but so is my pickup. My pickup is almost worse to say the least. I'm also not running billy sports... But the stiffnes aint too bad :P

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

Rocan -

With the bigger sways, it is perfect.  The stock springs and shocks are comfortable, and like I said, when I start feeling frisky, there isn't much body roll.  Not like the stock sways anyway.

Installation of the IE setup is pretty easy too.

Let's just say I installed my IE bars a few years ago (five years ago I think) and haven't felt the need to touch the suspension since.

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

Let's just say I installed my IE bars a few years ago (five years ago I think) and haven't felt the need to touch the suspension since.

Ditto. I installed them, and haven't had to think about them. They just work.

Ian
'76 M2

'02 325iT

• Administrators

btw, the reason you go to urethane or solid bushings on race cars is to increase predictability of your suspension and remove waisted energy lost on deforming the rubber bushing. If you do not need such precision, and most people do not, you can stick with rubber.

Deformation of suspension bushings in places other then the sway bar will also change your camber/toe/caster when you do not expect it to change. 

Forces exerted on suspension and all the bushings in a race on race tires are dramatically higher then in street car under almost all circumstances. 

steve k.

Get your 2002 FAQ merchandise from 2002FAQ Store

Ditto. I installed them, and haven't had to think about them. They just work.

I probably have the dubious honor of being the only one to put the IE bars on a car, and destroy them.  2002's can fly, but when they land....ooops.

2013-04-28_19-35-35_248.jpg

to be clear...this was NOT an IE bar problem!

Edited by mlytle

2xM3

I'm with the others who voted # 3.  I have the ST set on my tii and just purchased another set for the 69.

BTW - if you look up the ST set on the web, you might see the bars in lime green.  Mine came in the silver/gray color exactly like the older ones on my tii.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

I'm with the others who voted # 3.  I have the ST set on my tii and just purchased another set for the 69.

BTW - if you look up the ST set on the web, you might see the bars in lime green.  Mine came in the silver/gray color exactly like the older ones on my tii.

I spoke with ST not too long ago when I ordered some replacement hardware for my E12 sway bars. Their rep told me that they had gone back to the gray color their bars were originally (as my E12 bars are).

And, for the OP, I also have ST sway bars. I like them quite a lot.

-David

1972 2002 - 2577652 Follow the fun