Sway Bar Options

bnam

Did not have much luck with Search..

Would like to understand what choices there are for moderate street and beginning auto-x level improvements to the sway bar -- assuming stock suspension with Bilstein HD rear shock, stock (I believe) front.

1. Polyurethane bushings on stock 15mm front and stock (?mm) rear bars -- or perhaps poly in front, new rubber at the rear.

2. 19mm front bar upgrade (like the turbo) with stock rear.  Where can I get a 19mm front bar?

3. ST 22mm front/19mm rear from Blunt etc.  Do these mount with the stock brackets & locations or do they need new brackets?

I'm thinking of starting with #1, but would also consider #2 if I can get a 19mm one.  Get a feel for what it gives before going up bigger.

What else should I consider?

Byas

This is all my opinion- 

with things like this, what YOU like might not be what I like.

That said:

Don't waste your time with #1.  The stock bars are pretty mild, and the amount of deflection

in GOOD CONDITION rubber bushings is minimal.  Now, if they're shot, then sure, why not?

(this comes under the heading of CD's good advice to get the thing up to stock and see if you like it)

#2 I don't know anything about.  Adding a stiffer front bar relative to rear will increase understeer,

not something the stock car really needs more of.  But it won't add much, and the decrease in roll

MIGHT just cancel out the increased stiffness, depending on how your front tires are working.

#3 is something I've done, and I liked it a lot.  The increase in roll stiffness is evident, but there's 

no increase in bump or much in harshness.

I then added the ST springs, and thought it made a very nice street performance car with Bilstein HD's 

all around, for under $1K total outlay.

My opinion.

fwiw.

t

I'm with Toby and Marshall. The 19/22mm setup is just fine for your purposes. My advice is to buy what you think you will need in 2-3 years, not just what you need now. That way you'll only replace your suspension 1-2 times instead of 3 times in the next five years as you seek higher levels of performance. Hell, if you had a crystal ball you'd be able to see the fully stripped and trailered race car you will eventually have. Just buy the coilover setup today!..... :)

Fred '74tii & '69

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll head to #3. Is there a rubber bushing option for this (and should I even consider that) or is it only Poly?

Byas

Rubber bushings on larger bars in my mind is like putting gravy on a salid.  Defeats the purpose. 

I should have my car with poly bushings and IE bars running in a few weeks.  I can let you know how that goes.  I hope it will not be too much... 

• Administrators

when dealing with sway bars you have to care about more then just the thickness of the bar. The length of the sway bar arms and mounting location on the suspension. If you have all those you can do the basic sway bar calculations. And if your sway bar is hollow, you will need to also know the inside diameter.

As for which set to use and which bushings, well, that depends on what problem you are trying to resolve. 

Currently, my autocross car does not have a rear sway bar, and i have a NASCR style sway bar with custom mounts that is a lot stiffer then any other bar i could find. 

Of course there are other things that are done to the car, but what i am trying to do is keep the car from rotating and keep both rear wheel on the ground in a turn.

steve k.

I would respectfully disagree with Steve just a bit- you CAN use rubber bushings on the ST bars.

You'll have to carve them up a bit.

Why?

Because it's a street car and you're really worried about noise and vibration.

Otherwise, urethane for sure.  Use urethane/nylon grease.

t

I have an ST upfront and an IE rear (I need an IE front, just putting it out there) and it works out OK. The car drives real nice and the urethane didnt really make it any noisier, just a bit squeaky because I forgot to add lube... >.<

Never forget the lube. It's a good way to make a fun thing a painful thing.

I have The Ireland 22 front/ 22 rear combo with polyurethane bushings. I like these for street or track, and haven't noticed any unusual harshness or noise.

Edited by Ian