• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

timing marks on pully and housing?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

hi guys, new here as of today. just bought a little 1975 bmw 2002 that had been sitting for over 7 years, after rebuilding the carb and flushing the fuel i finally got her running. she was idling a little rough and i noticed that the vacuum advance hose was connected to manifold vacuum and i assumed that it shoulkd have been ported vacuum? is that correct? any way when i changed it to ported vacuum, now it will hardly run at idle. are there timingf marks on the crank pulley and the timing cover or how do i set/check the timing on this beast? any help would be greatly appreciated. i'm in northwest iowa and nobody around here has any idea on these little cars.

thanks, ed

Forget the timing marks on the pulleys. There is a viewing hole on the top of the transmission tunnel (look behind the motor between the firewall and the back of the motor). You shine the timing light in there at 1500 rpm with the vacuum advance to the distributer plugged and look for the "ball" ( a silver ball bearing imbedded in the fly wheel.

When you see the ball at 1500 rpms, timing is set.

Search there are lots of threads on setting timing.

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

The "ball" will look like what is painted red in this photo:

Flywheel05.jpgTDCandBB.jpg

The "window" you are looking for to see the "ball" is circled in the beautiful black circles.

77363f4e-9749-4776-a991-61ee79678eb9_zps957908a8.jpg

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

Regarding your vacuum line connection question, if memory serves me correctly, in 1975 the cars came with a dizzy that had both vacuum advance and vacuum retard. How you hook it up depends on how much of the smog stuff is still connected. You may need to do some searching here on the FAQ. A quick search yielded this thread. You can start here.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,0/page,viewtopic/t,360412/highlight,/sid,d0d598550eeac1078600c42139ddb542/

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)