Sign in to follow this  
billjecks

shifter rebuild

13 posts / 4091 viewsLast Reply

I am looking into rebuilding my shifter . My cars build date is march 15/73 so

is this an early style shifter or later?? who can supply me with the most comprehensive rebuild kit? I emailed a company called topend awhile ago but have heard no talk about them. I know bluntech has one.....

Bill

73 tii

Vancouver , BC

[email protected]

Hey Bill,

Wouldn't the dealer have the minor parts for this rebuild?

They used to.

Let's see...

2 nylon saddle bushings for the shifter ball/enclosure 23411466110/23411200844.

2 nylon bushings for the pivot dowel 23411466120.

1 pivot dowel (short/fat) held in by hex pin.

Those are the parts that wear and make for a sloppy shifter. Replace those and everything is firm again.

Paul

yes I can get the parts but they will likely cost me more than the kit and I was hoping the kit would use urethane bushings or some kind of upgrade.

The 2 most important items are the shifter blocks and the top hat bushings Those give you the most bang for the buck. If your tranny isnt leaking stock shifter blocks will last another 20 years. Your car would have the early set up if it hasnt been modified. Best to look.

Hey, I'm all for saving money, but aren't we talking about $40-50 all up.

Shipping will cost that from the US.

I bought the OEM parts 15 years ago, and they are still tight. Not sure urethane will really matter this side of another 100k kilometers.

it not the money, its the principal. Even working at a BMW dealership there have been more than a few times my cost has still been more than sourceing elsewhere.

Most places I deal with include shipping or it is a minimal charge. Just don't want to do half a job for twice the price.

Unless changed by a PO, your car should have the early style shifter linkage.

Replace with good stock components or you can switch the entire mechanism from a 74+ 2002 or another 3-series or purchase some delrin pieces from AKG Motorsport.

ONLY YOU CAN TELL US WHICH YOU HAVE BECAUSE

after 30-40 years of hacking and molesting under

there you could find either Early or Late, or a 5-speed,

or a blend of stuff ----do not order anything untill

you have been under and discected the shifter

platform to see whats what under there

disregard the titles of these diagrams

Just go with the diagrams

02shiftpartsLATER.jpg

02shiftpartsEARLY.jpg

i do have the original early style shifter and just noticed I have a minor leak from the shifter shaft seal. Is this something that can be done while I am in there or is it a nightmare.?

Bill

i do have the original early style shifter and just noticed I have a minor leak from the shifter shaft seal. Is this something that can be done while I am in there or is it a nightmare.?

Bill

do it while youre in there. There is actually room for 3 selector shaft seals in the case. tap a new one in over the leaking one effectively pushing the existing seal further in . Some guys may balk at this method but Ive been doing it a long time with no ill effects Im aware of

when installing the new selector shaft seal do I just slid it down the shaft and seat it ? or is there a way of removing the shaft to install??

Looks like a p.i.t.a.

Bill