• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine weight question re-re-visited.

johnny02

Pops and I are pulling the engine tomorrow. '76 car. Trying to work some things out as this is our first time. I'm trying to get an estimate of how much this thing weighs.

We will pull the trans first. Exhaust header is off. Will probably pull intake mani.

So what's left will be block and head and alternator and associated gear. No fluids.

Thoughts? The McCartney book apparently says ca. 300 lbs, per my search. Dad thinks that is high. Sound right or does that include trans?

Thanks guys-

John

Engine weight really depends on what is bolted to it when you pull it out. If you are not using a lift then pull the head first, you can leave manifold etc attached to the head.

I recently shipped a 1600 engine that weighed 227.5 lbs including pressure plate, clutch and oil pump. No starter, alternator, distributor, brackets or manifolds attached. Of course when it was crated up with all the other parts I included final weight was about 400 lbs, shipped LTL from MD to CA.

Fred '74tii and '69 (now being upgraded to 2.0L)

--Fred

'74tii (Colorado) track car

'69ti (Black/Red/Yellow) rolling resto track car

'73tii (Fjord....RIP)

Thanks, Fred, that helps. A site search (I searched engine weight AND engine weigh, Esty, thank you.) didn't yield much, so I thought I would throw it out there again.

I just went out and pulled the starter. That thing has to be between 30 and 40 lbs alone. Will definitely swap to the S14 starter when i rebuild.