• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Upgraded 2002 Ignition System to 123Ignition Tune

Tombonetoo

This past month I upgraded the carburetor system to a Weber 38 DPS 100 and the distributor ignition systems on my stock, 156,000 mile, 1976 BMW 2002. In this General Discussion topic, I will address the ignition system upgrade which was an upgrade from the stock Bosch 0 231 170 164 JFU4 distributor to a fully electronic, programmable 123Ignition 123/Tune 4-R-V-B distributor. Information on this distributor and the company who manufactures it is found at www.123ignition.nl and www.123ignitionusa.com.

Here is the car:

th_18d24a45.jpg

I ordered the unit online via the 123Ignitionusa.com website. It arrived in two days. Easy transaction. The unit comes in a form-fitting plastic package with a multi-language instruction booklet. The instructions are fairly straight-forward, even for someone who has not made an electronic conversion before such as to a Pertronix, MSD or Crane. I spent some time researching these other systems. What it came down to for me was the fact that for the most part these other systems were replacing the breaker points with a highly upgraded technology like a Hall-Effect trigger, but was doing little to address wear and tear of an old distributor itself, especially the centrifugal and vacuum advance mechanisms. You could of course send the distributor out for rebuild and have these advance mechanisms replaced and re-set. But by the time you did all that, with adding the trigger, you are spending $250-300 anyway. A new distributor with vacuum advance according to Maximillian is $290-350. So why spend upwards of $500 for the 123Ignition unit? Good question - I had to convince my better half on this one as well. The added features compared to a trigger-converted stock unit include fully programmable centrifugal and vacuum advance curves which was the prime driver and individual cylinder spark balance technology. also included is the ability to set rev-limiters and set what RPM you want the vacuum advance to start thus simulating a ported-vacuum line from the carburetor or manifold. all these features give you tremendous control over the ignition system. While this approach is not quite to the level of control you get with a full EFI or Megasquirt system, it is enough to get a 37 year old well-maintained stock engine idling smoothly and pulling strongly through the gear changes like she has not done in decades. I should add that the car is well-maintained, driven regularly, compression within spec, and primary upgrades include Tii exhaust manifold/system; de-smogged; bored and ported intake manifold for Weber 38; Bosch Red coil; etc.

The installation of the 123Ignition distributor was actually simple. I decided not to hard wire the four wires – the black wire to negative post on the coil, the red positive wire to a switched 12V+ source ahead of the resistor wire, the blue wire to ground on frame and the wire to a 12V+ positive source (I used the same as the red) – Instead I decided to install a small junction box with a switch and four-prong plug for easy installation and removal (i.e. keep the old reliable breaker-point distributor in the trunk as a spare....), The switch allows me to switch back and forth on the fly between two pre-programmed advance curves. The following sequence of photos shows how I did the installation:

How is comes packaged:

th_fb1855089ca924a89d2698d0dda2e475_zpsc3ba7efb.jpg

Four wire system and manual:

th_a044fc00d7d85876ae6bae28e9b413cf_zpsb588a1ee.jpg

Programming the unit - download application, need USB to mini-USB wire:

th_df077329d084eaaaef6d7acdcebd6a59_zpsa6ffe24b.jpg

Once inked up, I downloaded the “Tune” application from the 123Ignition website on to a PC with Windows 7. No problems at all – nice looking program dash-board. I programmed the unit with two advance curves. For inspiration on the values in these curves I read everything I could find in this forum – there is a lot to read and I settled on the curves from the Bosch 0 231 180 003 & 005 distributors. The 003 distributor’s advance curve is similar to the curve for the original distributor. This curve is steep – starting at 3.3 deg at 800 RPM Crank and scaling to 30 deg by 2,400 RPM Crank. After 2,400 RPM, I continued this curve on a slight incline to 33 deg at 8,000 RPM. I set the rev-limiter to 6,500 RPM. I called this Curve 2. For the 005 distributor’s curve, I began at 3.3 deg at 800 RPM Crank, then followed the curve up to 40 deg at 4,000 RPM Crank, then on a slight incline to 47 deg at 8,000 RPM. Also set the rev-limiter to 6,500 RPM. I called this one Curve 1. I used the same vacuum advance curve for both Curve 1 and 2. Basically, the advance starts at 4 in-Hg (87 kPA) and increases to 10 deg by 8.3 in-Hg (72 kPA). I kept it at 10 deg until 15 in-Hg and then started to ramp it back to 0 deg by 30 in-Hg. All the curves I have read about end at 11.8 in-Hg (300 mm-Hg), then nothing. However, the vacuum advance on my old distributor remains at full advance over 8.3 in-Hg (yep, I measured it with a vacuum pump gage). For Curve 1 I started the MAP at 1,500 RPM (simulate ported vacuum), and for Curve 2 I set the MAP start to 0 RPM. These two curves were programmed using the TUNE application and then I stored both curves in the distributor and in a file location on my computer. Pictures of the loaded curves are as follows:

Curve 1:

th_17939534d58e9eb6e8a933e1aa199048_zpsa30669b6.jpg

Curve 2:

th_0cac068ae82b927cee8ce1386b7c8232_zpseb11bfff.jpg

I followed usual process of installing a distributor – first finding TBC for cylinder no. 1 by removing valve cover, rotate crank until the camshaft gear marking is in line with oil tube at 12 o’clock and making sure both lobes for cylinder no. 1 pointing down. I installed the distributor in a position that gave me ease of access to the programming port and vacuum advance tube on the new distributor, which resulted in the rotor was pointing at the firewall. I followed the instructions for setting TBC location with the green LED light in the view port and then secured distributor. I installed the cap and plugged in cylinder no. 1 wire in the plug hole just above where the rotor was pointing to. Then I plugged in cylinder nos. 3, 4, 2 in the distributor cap’s holes going clockwise. I then put the valve cover back on and low and behold, turned the key and she fired right up. Once the engine was at operating temperature, I then followed the ignition timing procedure – 1,500 RPM, vacuum line disconnected and plugged – rotated the distributor to 24 deg BTDC by finding the steel ball in the bell-housing with a timing light. The steel-ball was dead steady! Not the usual “following the dancing ball” I used to get, where I had to estimate 24 deg BTDC by finding the mid-point of the steel-ball “blur”. This time it was standing right there like the flywheel was not even turning. I then secured the distributor nut. Setting the timing this way results in about 6 deg of static advance against my Curve 2 which has approx. 18 deg of centrifugal advance at 1,500 RPM (i.e. 24 deg BTDC – 18 deg centrifugal advance = 6 deg static). Just for grins, I measured dwell angle. The 123Ignition unit has variable dwell. I got readings ranging from approx 30 deg at idle to approx 60 deg at 3,000 RPM. Installation photos as follows:

Mounted junction box with switch and plug ($16 parts from Radio Shack):

th_bce92fb0e36dc5490ea4792dec624384_zps5265dd84.jpg

123Ignition installed:

th_f1dd105ddc3ef5b947fb11bab4735211_zps0ac15ddd.jpg

The 123Ignition program has a nice dashboard with Crank RPM, Total Advance in Degrees, Temperature , MAP vacuum and Coil Current. You can switch between Metric and Imperial units in the settings. While you are running the engine, you can adjust the advance or retard in “tuning” mode. This will adjust the whole advance curve in 0.5 deg increments. This is similar to rotating the distributor in a calibrated fashion. So, with you at wheel and a passenger at the computer, you can perform your hill climbs to refine the power output using this function. Of course, in this part of Texas there are few hills, so we have to resort to the Hi-5 fly-ways for this effort (or a dyno....).

Curve 1 Dashboard at Idle - note lower total advance due to MAP vacuum not starting until 1,500 RPM (even though unit reads vacuum):

th_0593eccfabd2c3a6d0b01bf3dd666e18_zpseaeaeecb.jpg

Curve 2 Dashboard at Idle - note higher advance due to added MAP vacuum advance (centrifugal plus vacuum advance is 13 deg)

th_b5534a2df9b2b8a4b61e6c9ea4ca6e47_zps09465885.jpg

I have clocked about 120 miles this past week on the unit – mostly running on Curve 2. I have been running a wide-band O2 sensor as well. I had previously dialed in the Weber 38 DPS 100 to give me 13 AFR at idle and under load to 15 AFR at cruise speeds of 60-80 MPH (more on that process in another General Discussion topic I will write). These AFR readings held the same values with the 123Ignition distributor, perhaps a touch leaner by 0.2-0.3 AFR. The car idles smoother, pulls stronger and appears quieter at cruise. Curve 1 appears to have more advance than I am comfortable with. I have not experienced pinging at idle or at cruise, but then I have not been pushing the car on this program curve all that much. Nonetheless, if I don’t like it, I can program a new one and upload it to the distributor in under 3 minutes! I am very pleased so far with this upgrade, and would happy to assist anyone else that may be considering this upgrade.

Keep your revs up,

Tom

1976 BMW 2002

1971 BMW 2800

1969 BMW 1600 (the one that got this madness started for me ...)

, then followed the curve up to 40 deg at 4,000 RPM Crank, then on a slight incline to 47 deg at 8,000 RPM

Keep an eye on your plugs. Might be safe, but it's on the danger side of things

from what I found, especially since you're running your mixture a bit lean,

(not inappropriately) too.

The 'safe/unsafe' line's in engine loading,

and that's going to depend on many things, including your vacuum advance mapping...

Not "boom" scary, just 'plug chop it a few times to be sure' scary...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

great work!

"TUNING FOR MAX HP"

and

"tuning for max FUEL ECONOMY"

KEEP IT COMING ..........

too bad you don't have a Dyno

or some nice l o n g uphill grades for testing....

my humble suggestion for your testing:

Idle

3rd gear

1,500 rpm partial throttle w/load

3rd gear

3,000 rpm partial throttle w/load

3rd gear

4,500 rpm FULL throttle w/increased load

have fun

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Thanks C.D.

To answer the inner engineer in me, I may go ahead a put the car on a dyno and optimize these curves one for power and the other for economy. What the hell, we can fiddle around a few other timing advance curves to suit various driving conditions and just save them for downloading as needed.

Fully agreed with your prposed sequence of RPM and loading parameters - these should give visibilty for possible adjustments to both centrifugal and vacuum advance profiles. Let you all know what I find and report back.

Stay Tuned...

Keep your revs up,

Tom

1976 BMW 2002

1971 BMW 2800

I'm also running the 123 set up and love it.

Bob

3410619 - 74 1802 Verona Touring

3460120 - 74 Verona Touring....... (Sold) sent off to LA.

2760306 - Ultimate driving machine Skidmark 204 car. 72 Inka (Sold)

Formerly the old and slow division of Skidmark Racing. 

Nick -

Thanks for the comment. I did not look individually at the coil-over/crank trigger solution but I did look at a used Megasquirt system from that a board members was offering at one time as a total solution. One of my goals is to maintain a stock look with this car while improving serviceability and performance. For example, I retained the use of the stock air filter over the Weber 38, cast alum exhaust manifold shield with Tii manifold, the 123Ignition has a "Bosch" look to it, the Cromodora wheels were dealer accessories catalog items at the time, etc. Installing Megasqirt, MSD, Crane, etc would meant some noticeable changes to the stock look under the hood.

Best,

Keep your revs up,

Tom

1976 BMW 2002

1971 BMW 2800

Toby,

I hear you - this is a bit too much advance at the upper end given the gasoline we get around here. I plan to tone it down. Do you have a timing curve recommendation for a stock '76 M10 you would use?

Thanks,

Keep your revs up,

Tom

1976 BMW 2002

1971 BMW 2800

Hi Bob -

Question - are you running the Tune version or a unit with the preprogrammed curves? What is the configuration of your engine and what curve did you ultimately go with?

Thanks,

Keep your revs up,

Tom

1976 BMW 2002

1971 BMW 2800

I have the tune version. I used the tii mechanical advance curve.

I then went to the dyno and ran 2 runs to make sure the mixture was right and two runs to see if any changes were needed to the timing. When I was done, I left the over 3K RPMS at 34 deg (17 in the programming).

Bob

3410619 - 74 1802 Verona Touring

3460120 - 74 Verona Touring....... (Sold) sent off to LA.

2760306 - Ultimate driving machine Skidmark 204 car. 72 Inka (Sold)

Formerly the old and slow division of Skidmark Racing. 

The only nugget I have is that 36 degrees total's pretty darned safe.

You CAN run more, and can probably make more power that way too, at leaner

mixtures. Just don't let it sit at 44 total when the throttle percentage goes

up...

fwiw

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I strongly recommend the dyno tuning. It will allow a much more controlled and safer environment for everything except your wallet. If you are going the dyno route installing a K-type thermocouple in one exhaust runner (lab grade or something scrounged up) will help immensely with choosing the correct ignition timing.

Step 1. Choose AFR. If you move AFR effects laminar flame speed in the cylinder and consequently ideal ignition timing. Choose AFR based on your parts durability pucker factor. Lean is mean but it is hell on parts.... Personalty with my own $ on the line I prefer fat dumb and happy but that is just me.

Step 2. Repeat at 1k 2k 3k 4k 5k.... at WOT, -200 kPa, - 400kPa intake manifold vac..... At each point sweep timing and record EGT. Stop if the temp starts to go back up while advancing timing or when you here knocking. Look at your temp data at each running point and choose the timing that produced the lowest EGT before knock. That will be your most efficient and powerful timing. Do not pay attention to the torque numbers from the dyno those are a like cutting with a chainsaw when the thermocouple is more like a paring knife.

Here is the hard part. High intake air temps and dryer air will increase flame speed and thereby reduce the timing in which the engine will knock. You could run a hot temp & cold temp maps if needed. Or you could run maps with margin in them. Keep track of the air temp (and humidity) when you are dyno testing and that should help.

Have fun if this is done right the 02 will be optimized for power responsiveness and economy and you will win a nerd award....

76 '02 owned 20 years.....project for the last 13. I should probably be faster than the rust I'm chasing.

Wow, thanks Pamola for this input and recommendation.

Okay, I am definitely going for the nerd award. In fact I have a k-type thermocouple in the toolbox that's been begging me to be put to use....

What AFRs are you holding across the sweep points you suggested That I run on the Dyno? I am dialed in at 13 AFR during idle and under loading, leaner at 15 AFR at cruise speeds. Would you consider these values too lean? I too prefer durability, then performance, followed by optimizing economy as a tuning goal.

Best,

Keep your revs up,

Tom

1976 BMW 2002

1971 BMW 2800

Toby -

I just checked what I programmed for the Curve 2 advance values, the values I quoted in the write up include the full centrifugal plus static advance. At my rev-limit set point of 6500 RPM, the most advance I would get is 37-38 deg centrifugal plus 6-7 deg static = 43-45 deg total. This car does not spend much time up there the way it's driven. On Curve 2, 3000 to 4000 RPM range is 34 to 38 deg total, with not much more from vacuum advance there. Would you consider this safe with a 15 AFR.

Thanks,

Keep your revs up,

Tom

1976 BMW 2002

1971 BMW 2800