• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NK Project Update

Me?  Drive fast??   Never!!!    ;)

Whahaha!

Looking great. Need to get a day off and head of the mountain to check it out up close. (And pick up some sheet metal parts for my NK).

Sam Adams
1972 Inka 2000tii Touring, 1968 Manila 1600-2, 2001 325iT

• 3 weeks later...

Got the hood mounted, aligned and all the mechanisms and latches in place.   Also got the grills mounted.  Thanks Randy A for getting them powder coated for me out there in Okie land!!!!   Oh  Also got the windshield in (Thanks Steve and Brandon for getting me the rubber), now to get the locking strips in, just have to get my mind right to do that (and buy something nice for Eileen so she will help me  :)

Getting closer

IMG_36021024x768_zps7609df97.jpg

IMG_36041024x768_zps3bc3d370.jpg

Mike, awesome job on the whole car.   I was inspired by your carpets and got ESTY carpet which I am now installing.    Please pass along  any tips on windshield locking strip installation.  I got a helper tool but have remained somewhat timorus/wimpy/afraid of tackling  that  job (which is why my 72 911 hasn't had them since 1997).   Cant wait to see the car-it is superb.    sincerely Peter

The First thing is to have an untroubled mind. The Second thing is to know your purpose. Illigitimati Non Carborundum

Peter   

Need to be in a good mood, and have a good helper to keep the locking strip from flopping everywhere.  A warm sunny day to soften the rubber, lots of liquid soap, dishwashing liquid is what I use.  The corners can be really tricky.  The NK is a little scary as it looks thicker than the 02 one and the rubber seems to be tighter with the glass in.   So I am hoping I can pull it off

I have used several different types of tools, pusher and puller and this is the one I currently like

http://www.aegistools.com/catalog/Manual-Tools-Equipment/Windshield-Installation-Tools/Locking-Strip-Tool/

And a cold beer when complete

• 1 month later...

Well   Have been working on the car some over the holidays    Got the console modified and mounted along with air deflectors  made for the lower outlets.    Thanks to Randy A for the fabrication/bending of the panel I designed for mounting the the AC controls.   I covered it with original material from the parts of the under dash cover I cut out.      Now to make a cover for the rights side of the box (damper servors, heater control valve and hoses)    Trying to make it looks kind of original even though AC was not an option on these cars    haha     Slowly getting there

IMG_38401024x768_zps2cb6908f.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Another little update as I make  my way across the interior.    This week I worked on the under column and left side.   Because I mounted the fuse box inside under the dash, I needed to make a little access panel.   So modifying the left under dash panel was necessary.     I made a little frame and metal door, hinged it with part of an 02 glove box hinge and covered it with some more of the material I got off an old console I had that matched and so there we are.     Only thing remaining now is to make a panel to cover the servo motors and hoses on the right side of the dash.

Oh also, included a picture of the E28 door seal as requested by Bens

Slowly slowly getting there, Mid America 02 Fest is looming and only 3 months away, gotta get this thing done and hope Bo will let me in the parking lot  :)

post-32240-0-45735700-1390054667_thumb.j

post-32240-0-60253800-1390054726_thumb.j

post-32240-0-47799500-1390054762_thumb.j

post-32240-0-60626900-1390054824_thumb.j

post-32240-0-71313200-1390054883_thumb.j

post-32240-0-01632500-1390054931_thumb.j

• 3 weeks later...

Mike    Does not fit up against glass     I mounted this one down on the board I made and covered for the package tray area.   I did have to cut the light housing to change the angle some.    Never seen the ones you are referring to.   The E30 is what I have in my blue 02 and what I put in the Inka Tii I restored a few year ago

I did make up new panels out of thin plywood.   They are at the upholsterers now getting recovered in 2 tone black and dark gray.   Hope to  have pictures in a few weeks.   Thought I had pictures of the panel replacement but I don't seem to    I can talk you through it if you decide to do it.   Not hard