Factory quarter panel quality

Decided to replace both quarter panels for rust repair, but so far have received 2 right side panels directly from Germany that have small "dimples" (about dime size) all over. Anybody have same experience with factory panels?? Has the die given out or is handling that rough at the factory depot?? I realize that these are large panels, but the left side is fine (ordered thru the same dealer).

I ordered this one in 2009 and it arrived in a super-giganto box. If your panels are not boxed for transit, who knows. If they come out of the box with dings, I would ask for them to re-order until one arrives that is worth installing. Do be prepared for some massaging. They don't fit all that well, especially around the taillights.

SidePanel_Outer.jpg

RMWblog051111-69.jpg

Remember the story about dashes? Somebody returned several because of some damage, until they were NLA and returned ones were trashed.

Consider that they may have been stored for 40 years. I bought a pair of quarter panels few years ago. Another side was not fitting perfectly as it seemed like later production. Other was better fit although with more dings which I considered better.

Tommy

I went through 3 or 4 before i gave up and installed what I had. Some had grinder marks and some were dinged. None were perfect (as I expected)

I ended up with skim coat on all my panels to get them perfect. Im no body guy but the guy who did mine said its the only way to get panels like glass.

In the end Im happy but its frustrating to lay out that kinda cash for less than perfect parts

After a lot of deliberation, I determined that the guys at Racecraft in Woodinville have the best expertise for 2002 bodywork--Terry Forland has the Alpina replica mentioned on this forum. Lately I have been getting factory parts from BMW Bellevue. They are going to contact the factory with a specific parts request--have been told there are about 150 panels in factory inventory. Thanx for all the replies.