• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you guys use an overflow resevoir?

ringkingpin

KFunk--I assume you've relocated your battery? Or did you go below the battery tray?

-Dave

Nah, battery is still there.  It's literally behind the headlight.  There's a gap there.  I can't remember if I drilled a hole for the bracket to hold it, or if there was already a hole there.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

The Autozone one can also double as a fuel tank for your motorcycle to power through an escape tunnel out of a mexican prison:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/centralamericaandthecaribbean/mexico/11740677/Inside-drug-lord-El-Chapos-tunnel-escape-route.html

(see picture)

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

. I can't stand the thought of leaking coolant on the drive because its poisonous to animals.

don't want to spew extra coolant down the highway while going through the mountains or at high speed on a track,

excellent motives for adding a catch bottle!  coolant under a tire is slippery.  i did the same thing kfunk did.   plastic bottle right behind the headlight.

2xM3

I have one of these behind my driver's side headlight (just got my second after a deer hit the first). They should have it in stock at every autozone, even if you make the guy search the back room twice, he'll find it somewhere:

http://www.autozone.com/heating-and-cooling/coolant-return-kit/interdynamics-1-5-qt-coolant-return-kit-for-compact-and-smaller-vehicles/360489_0_0/

It's cheap looking, but its set up for the job and works.

And yes, I run one for a lot of reasons. I'm sure the car can handle it, but my car isn't exactly stock, and all cooling system parts won't work forever. I abuse it heavily, and don't want to spew extra coolant down the highway while going through the mountains or at high speed on a track, just because I mis-measured how much of an airspace should be at the top of the radiator. Just fill it up all the way, and you'll have less chance of air bubbles, too.

Did you connect the runoff tube at the top or bottom?

Cheers,

1974 - 2002 - "Fozzie"

Did you connect the runoff tube at the top or bottom?

The overflow tube from the radiator goes to the bottom of the reservoir.  The final overflow tube goes from the top of the reservoir to somewhere near the bottom of the car, however you want to run it.

At least that's how I did mine, and makes sense to me.  

Bring a Welder

I installed one on my very first 2002, a "late" 71 with the 72 body trim and 1 barrel solex.  I had lots of overheating issues.  It had me stumped because the rad flowed just fine.  What I could not see was the build up on the inside of the tubes from previous owners using the wrong anti-freeze.

At any rate, I used an overflow bottle from a 70s Volvo.  Easy to fit, easy to install, and worked as it should. 

cheers,

Michael

The overflow tube from the radiator goes to the bottom of the reservoir. The final overflow tube goes from the top of the reservoir to somewhere near the bottom of the car, however you want to run it.

At least that's how I did mine, and makes sense to me.

Did you put the container horizontally in the space behind the headlight? That seems like it would fit better horizontally than vertically, if I remove the mounting tab first. Did you drill holes to mount? I don't want the container to bump around on the headlight wires.

Cheers,

1974 - 2002 - "Fozzie"

Did you put the container horizontally in the space behind the headlight? That seems like it would fit better horizontally than vertically, if I remove the mounting tab first. Did you drill holes to mount? I don't want the container to bump around on the headlight wires.

I did mine vertically, but you can do it however you want. I put some little bolts and nuts to hold the bracket to the lip of the core support (?), and if there weren't holes there already, I drilled 'me.

Bring a Welder

LOL...at least yours is mounted with a bracket.  mine is stuffed in there loose!

Mine was in there like that too, until I used a crowbar to pry the front end and headlight outward to their proper pre-deer locations.  Then it wouldn't hold on its own anymore, hah.

Bring a Welder

LOL...at least yours is mounted with a bracket. mine is stuffed in there loose!

Ha -- mine's just wedged in there too (bottle bottom slanted inward, not near any wiring). Doesn't seem to move around any either, even while hooning. ;-P

Edited by visionaut

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

To be more effective, you should have a "sealed" radiator cap.  Back in the 80s I found one at the auto parts house made by CRS (coolant recovery system?).  It was plastic, yellowish in color, and had several rubber seals on it that fit in the neck of the radiator, allowing the coolant from the reservoir/bottle (like many above, wedged in the space by the headlight) to be drawn back into the radiator after the car was run.

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif