• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rust remova/control advice on partial restor.

feud02

I am doing a partial restoration on my '71 Calif. 2002. No major rust, just some surface rust. I am not pulling engine, just repainting exterior and new carpet and seats. My question is there is some surface rust in the engine compartment and the cavity area between the firewall and passenger comp. What is the best way to remove what spots I can get to? Thanks.

Doug

'76 '02

You can try surface conditioning disks that go into a die grinder. You can get them at Harbor Freight or Home Depot. They go by a couple brand names including Roloc. How far you are going to de-rust depends on what you plan on doing after you get the loose rust off the surface. This is the most important part of the process. There are a couple different rust isolator products that have been discussed here before. They include everything from Rustoleum to Wurth to Eastwood to POR 15. For slightly tight spots I've used a wire brush for a Dremel. They come in a couple configurations that do pretty well. Greetings to all from the rust belt. Hop[efully more midwesterners chime in.

Ahlem

'76 2002

'90 M3

'90 535i 5 speed

'89 325is '91 318is

'87 325is