Stuart

Engine Guidance Please

5 posts / 519 viewsLast Reply

So I have been out of the 02 world for 20 years and I've just now decided that I want another one. The looking is easy, the finding part is hard. What I want is a Roundie. A 72 would be perfect.

One big decision I need to make is on the engine I want. On my last 02 I had 45 DCOE Weber sidedrafts, a Shrick 304 and 9.5 to 1 pistons. It was a blast to drive but needed fairly constant attention like any motor with a little extra. I am not opposed to having some engine work done on the car I select, and as a matter of fact I would rather have a fresh motor.

So the bottom end would be 9.5 to 1 pistons and the top end would be a Shrick cam. As a car that would be driven more than it sits, should I go sidedrafts or injection? I'm thinking that injection would be easier to maintain in the long run, but that means I need to start looking for a tii which run a few more bucks. Any idea which option would produce the most hp?

I know I need to set this aside in making my decision but I just love the sound of a motor with sidedrafts and I love the look of a 4 banger with sidedrafts.

Slap on anothr $1200 or so for a decent ECU and ancillaries and your work has just begun. Been there and done that.

No hassles daily driver, keep the cost down? I'd say stick with a good 32/36.

More interested on spending $ on a go-fast toy and have something to tinker with? Then I'm a big fan of an EFI setup, and you can do that with whatever type of induction track that you can make bolt onto the head; plenum manifolds, ITBs, single-sidedraft, whatever. And there's so much cool stuff you can do with EFI that wasn't possible 20 years ago. But hey, that's just my opinion, do with you 2002 whatever makes you happiest, since that's what a 2002 is all about after all!

-Carl

You can also go EFI with a 318 manifold. Here on FAQ in the "Store" you can buy an adapter for a bigger Throttle Body, also use bigger injectors etc etc EDIS. Should be a solid running setup. Stick on a good knock sensor and you can really push the advance.

Another fun route would be to put an M42 motor in. Andy put a turbo in his. You can push 200 HP easily and have a daily. Getting 200HP out of an M42 is much cheaper than trying to get that out of an M10 and MUCH cheaper than the S14 route