• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DESPERATLEY IN NEED OF HELP!

korvettel46

Hi everybody! Thanks for offering a great forum.

This is my first visit.

I really could use some guidance.! I'm in the process of purchasing an 02 that needs a hood. I thought I'd do a little leg work prior to finalizing the purchase, so I started searching the web for a quality used hood with no luck. Now I must say I am a rookie, well maybe just below a rookie when it comes to the 02. Could someone advise me to a viable source or sources to purchase a hood and the possible cost$$ as this will be a factor in the final offered price for the car. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Pete

Pete--welcome. As a baseline, a brand new hood from an online BMW dealer is currently $828.44. This is part number 41615480000 (look it up on RealOEM.com) and is for years 03/1966-07/1976.

Good chance someone on the FAQ has a hood for you, or you can look at salvage yards and BMW used parts specialty shops. Shipping a hood by freight is not inexpensive, so finding one locally is best. Price ranges from free to $100 to more depending on condition.

Suggest you retitle your message something like "need help finding a hood". You'll get more responses with a specific ask and lack of a hood is not exactly a dire situation.

Best of luck--Fred '74tii and '69

--Fred

'74tii (Colorado) track car

'69ti (Black/Red/Yellow) rolling resto track car

'73tii (Fjord....RIP)

Pete,

I would further suggest you visit the "Parts For Sale" section of the board and see the various posts there to get an idea of hood prices. You may find one advertised for sale.

You may also want to check out the "Parts Wanted" portion of the this board and post a wanted ad.

Good luck and welcome.

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam

The trick is to find one locally on Craigslist, since shipping these things is prohibitive. I see you're in CT. I'm in Boston. If you look on Craigslist in Boston or Cape Cod, you'll see a guy in Hyannis parting out a 2002. He has a trunk lid pictured. Maybe he has a hood.

http://southcoast.craigslist.org/pts/3698077433.html

This guy (noelbp66@live.com) had an ad on CL in November saying he had a 2002 hood. I think he was in NH.

You might also try Jeremy Davenport ("Brandon" here on the FAQ) at jeremybd@yahoo.com. He's also local (central MA).

--Rob Siegel

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

Guest Anonymous

Thank you Fred for responding. Sorry about the "DESPERATLEY" but I'm this close to purchasing the car and I paniced, unable to find a hood. From what I gather a 72 hood is different from a 73/76, good to know. This vehicle is a 72. By chance would you know what other years are compatible? Again, thanks for the response.

Funny story; I fell in love with the 02's and 3.0's in the mid seventies watching them blast around LimeRock race track, located in the Northwest Hills of Ct. In 1983 I decided it's time to "get me one". By the time 1984 rolled around I was the proud owner of a 70 Corvette, though I never lost the passion for these cars. I came close in 2000 with the purchase of a well preserved 87 is. Well maybe I'll make it this time.

I hope you'll see more of me, that would mean I fulfilled the dream.

Thank you,

Pete

Thanks everyone, you've very helpful. Sorry Fred, I read your reply incorrectly. I reread it again and I see the fitment is all the same. As I said I'm new to tcorresponding in forums (as well as typing)stuff and I hope you've received my reply.

If I may ask another question: is it one size fit all regarding the grills?

Thanks,

Pete

Grills are a little more specific. 74-76 switched to black plastic and they (mostly, meaning without modifications) won't fit. The center part included.

Early cars 67-70(?) have an anodized aluminum grill without "blacking" strips, these fit the year car you are looking at but are all silver. You can probably add the "blacking" strips, but in general you will need a 71-73 grill to be correct. There are also some differences in the depth of the head light bowl...but others will have to provide that subtlety.

2003 GMC Sierra Stuff Hauler

2000 Honda Odyssey Family Hauler

1992 Mazda Miata Wife's Grocery Getter

1988 Honda NT650 Hawk GT Dust Collector

1973 BMW 2002 Sunny Day Driver

1991 318iC Daughter's ride

Thanks for the info regarding the compatibility of the grills. The 72 I'm looking at has a bar missing. Boy I have a lot to learn. Pretty excited!

Thanks,

Pete

00 Expedition

98 4Runner (wifes winter)

98 Z28 Ls1

87 325is (wifes summer)

85 Scrambler

70 Corvette coupe (mine)

POSSIBLE 1972 2002 MODIFIED

Early cars 67-70(?) have an anodized aluminum grill without "blacking" strips, these fit the year car you are looking at but are all silver.

I believe there might be some fine tuning or clarification to this statement. Although early 1600s had all-silver grills, from their initial appearance, 2002s and cabriolets (1600 or otherwise) had the alternating 3-black, 1-silver, 2-black, 1-silver, 2-black grills familiar from the the later metal-grill cars. I believe the difference between the early and the late metal grills -- for 2002s -- is that the early grills had painted black slats whereas the later metal grills had black covers clipped onto the slats.

Others here recall more clearly than I the changes: I believe my (early) '70 had painted black slats, not black covers.

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Your '72 can use any grille from 68-73; they all fit--but with a couple of minor caveats:

Early 2002s (68-70 or so) have the horizontal slats on the side grilles painted black by the factory; sometime in 1971 they started fitting black anodized aluminum appliques over the grille slats, as the black paint started to chip after a few months. If your '72 is missing any, you can buy the slats separately from the grille.

From mid-72 through the end of 73, the headlight surrounds that are part of the side grilles are shallower than the earlier ones. Only the deep grilles are available new from BMW. Send me the car's VIN and I can tell you which one is correct for your '72.

If one of your grilles is missing an entire slat, you might find someone on the board with a damaged grille who will send you the slat you need; you can then epoxy it in place. I did a column on grille repair; drop me an e-mail and I'll send you a copy.

Welcome to the 02 fraternity/sorority....

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Thanks for the wonderful support. WOW!

Mike... I haven't purchased the car as of yet. I keep saying to my wife "I really should buy that car, it's just what I've been looking for! She hasn't said no or yes.

How would I send you an email? I clicked your button to send you this reply but it wouldn't take.

Thanks,

pete