Sign in to follow this  
jgerock

Heater box spring clip installation tip

9 posts / 1265 viewsLast Reply

There are (3) spring clips that hold the front section of the heater box to the main section. You tap them off to split the box open, but the clips are difficult to get started.

I used a set of external snap ring pliers to spread the clip open enough to start it on the grooves - then tap the rest of the way with a hammer.

IMG_8827_zpsccaa9dc3.jpg

close - but you need (next time)

plyers like this (reversible)

to expand or compress clips/rings

it's a better multi tasker plyer

no hammer required

SRPC7000.jpg

I have a set of reversible ones like Uncle CD shows and I use them to stick in the holes then open the pliers spreading the clip.

Jim, your way seems like a good way if you do not have the snap ring pliers.

I can just hear the engineers saying, "Let's make heater core replacement easy by putting monster spring clips between heater box sections."

I've got the right tool, and I STILL chased that clip across the garage 4 times before it snapped in place.

Good times . . . . .

I tried using (2) different sets of retainer clip pliers - one even had an adjustable screw to hold the position. Both were unable to clear the center portion of the clip while spreading the outer pin holes apart. The plier pins kept slipping out of the holes. Guess a longer set of removable pins would work too..

Good grief...

This design is another one of those things that makes one scratch their head and ask what were they thinking.

I've refurbished 3 heater boxes. Throw away the clips before you launch them. Actually, the first 2 I did had such rusty clips they snapped upon removal.

I used good old fashioned steel wire - wrap it around the plastic tabs and twist it tight. Never had any problems with that approach.