Jace

Rear main seal question (with video)

5 posts / 396 viewsLast Reply

http://youtu.be/0YnTdZLCBhI

should a rear main seal be harder to push into the housing than this? i'd really rather replace the housing now than reinstall everything only to find it still leaking.

where the lump was, there was RTV and silicon around it to seal it (really?!) and the lump appeared to be from the casting of the housing.

The rear seals I've replaced in different real seal housings all had to be pressed in.RTV was more of a lubricant with sealing properties. Not a filler. I also started to check the pan threads in tbe rear seal housing before installation. I hate having to helicoil afterward.

Daron

Something odd there - yes, should require some hammering. I use a piece of 2x6 across the seal and tap evenly around the edge to ease it in.

Yep. That will not hold. It's also not from you just polishing up that spot either.

I would get another rear seal from a different gasket brand than that one. More likely a defective rear seal than a defective carrier unless you've never had a seal in that carrier before or the previous seal spun and ripped out.